Zarxrax
12-04-2013, 05:21 PM
The challenge for this round was to bring back some old memes. Can you recognize all of them?
The winning video is Video 13 by Ryden50! Congratulations!

Mediafire download: https://www.mediafire.com/?r3s5hm1hp4ojl3f
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/81012142

http://youtu.be/T0136fQXA7Y

Credits

Video 01
SOS13
Slayers, Slayers Next
Slackcircus - Fabulous Secret Powers

Video 02
SilentChaz
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Star Wars Episode III : Revenge of the Sith Sound Clip

Video 03
Sir Loin of Beef
BlazBlue: Altar Memory
Half-Life: Full Life Consequences Sound Clip

Video 04
Thomas Webber
Sword Art Online
Leeroy Jenkins Sound clip

Video 05
SuperLoliSentai
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Eric Calderone - Requiem for a Dream (Lux Aeterna) Meets Metal

Video 06
BakaLyte
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Dancing Baby
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu ED - Hare Hare Yukai

Video 07
adzman
Hataraku Maou-sama!
"Billy" - Ding Fries Are Done

Video 08
Chewi105
Attack on Titan/Shingeki No Kyojin
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Falcon Punch Sound Clip

Video 09
CetuS
GeneShaft
Downfall (Der Untergang) Sound Clip

Video 10
lilstow
Death Note
Death Note, Hnnnnnnnnnng

Video 11
Rebbie
Evangelion
Leeroy Jenkins Sound Clip

Video 12
humnut
Korewa Zombie Desu Ka
Sony E3 2006 Sound Clip

Video 13
Ryden50
Kill La Kill
o-zone - dragostea din tei

Video 14
ThatsNotMyName_studio
Elfen Lied
Henry Mancini - Baby Elephant Walk

Video 15
Robert Frazer
Patlabor (1988 OVA)
Patlabor (1988 OVA) Sound Clip

Video 16
Haar
Technotise: Edit & I
The Lonely Island - Dick in a Box

Video 17
N.P.C.C.
School Days
Jem and The Holograms - Set Your Sails

Video 18
Hosokawa37
Sora no Otoshimono
Boom Goes the Dynamite Sound Clip

Video 19
FORDboy357
Attack on Titan
The Simpsons Sound Clip

Video 20
Bonehimer
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The Laziest Men on Mars - The Terrible Secret of Space

Video 21
DXM
Tenjou Tenge
The Big Lebowski Sound Clip

Video 22
PrinnyCat
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
LazyTown - You Are A Pirate!

Video 23
The Real Inferno
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Slackcircus - Fabulous Secret Powers

Shuiia
12-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Ok so 10 got my vote because that was just unexpected and had me in stitches.
But most of these aren't that old. So either most editors were underageb& or they just said well 4 to 5 years is old enough.
Also 22 isn't anime but what the hell.
13 was just golden but my vote already went out to 10.
23 did SO much better what 1 did wrong but the main thing with most of these clips, they dragged on a bit imho.
Still a good video and a lot less cancerous than I would've imagined.

Zarxrax
12-04-2013, 05:44 PM
For some reason youtube degraded it to 144p. I dunno if its still processing or what...
It at least had it at 360p earlier, but that option disappeared.
I might have to reupload it or something if it doesnt fix.

Gleeman
12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
YouTube has blocked it for copyright. Sigh, what happened to Fair Use...?

TheBeardedOne
12-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Not sure if this is happening for you, but copyright goons have already blocked me from viewing it.

Mediafire link still works though...

N.P.C.C.
12-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I only face palmed like 5 times!

LawRayLiet
12-04-2013, 05:50 PM
It's between 5 and 10 for me. Good episode overall though.

Zarxrax
12-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Ok i disputed it, seems to have all the viewing options available now.

PrinnyCat
12-04-2013, 06:04 PM
A lot of these made me laugh and some were pretty clever about it. Thankfully there were less repetitions than I was expecting. It's between 10, 13, 19 and 23 for me.

Akyho
12-04-2013, 06:07 PM
4 6 9 15 17 19 are the ones that I liked. So honorable mentions.

But which one wins?

The I know which clip could have easily been left out is 22 . Not because its live action...cos it did nothing, just a music track over video not editing nothing.

adzman
12-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm betting it was the Pirates footage that did it

Distict5-9
12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
#2 was chuckle-worthy and #5 was straight-out badass, but #10 just came straight out of left field, earning my vote...
Good episode overall (with the glaring exception of a few entries...)!

(Also, I doubt that any of the "HEYAYAYAY" entries are going to come even close to that Sunred clip from AMVHell 6.66... Still, that "Killing your dog LOL brb" gets my honorable mention...)

Outlaw
12-04-2013, 06:29 PM
1, 9, 13, 16 and 19 are the only worthwhile choices.

If 10 wins this well.. I don't have any faith in humanity to lose at this point.

Kaiju
12-04-2013, 06:48 PM
I voted 23...namely due to the the whole "killing your dog LOL brb" stinger which sold the whole clip for me.

Though a lot of other clips got chuckles out of me as well. Nothing side-splittingly funny, but amusing nonetheless.

The Real Inferno
12-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I dont get #10

Sir Fluffykins
12-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Most of the second half memes I didn't get, someone needs to list what the memes are for ignorant me.

PS: No Dr Octogamapus, now I feel silly for not using it, thinking it'd be overused.

10, I didn't get the meme, but I laughed at how that guy somehow fit with each death.

I'll probably go with pink nipples, but need to think about it due to lip sync failure.

Junk4u
12-04-2013, 07:31 PM
#17 NO GOD! NO GOD PLEASE NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

urahara1001
12-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I'll probably go with pink nipples, but need to think about it due to lip sync failure.

I'm sorry, but I have to point out how hilarious this sounds to me out of context.

UTF
12-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Why couldn't we just have a single video with a particular song? When people have the same song or the same scene choices in the same compilation, it seems lame as hell.

SirLoinofBeef
12-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Stupid sexy Titan!

In all seriousness, a lot of these were pretty good. Gonna have a hard time voting for one.

FORDboy357
12-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Stupid sexy Titan!

In all seriousness, a lot of these were pretty good. Gonna have a hard time voting for one.

I remember watching AoT with my buddy and after making fun of all the normal titans with their "hurr durr" faces I said "Hmm, that female titan's kinda hot"

Moon Spirit
12-04-2013, 09:54 PM
*sigh* I was gonna get into this challenge but I procrastinated too long. And here I was gonna use the "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!" meme. Oh well.

Enough self-pity, back to voting. Anyway, I only 25% of the memes I don't get. It's kind of hard to choose since there's almost two of each meme in some respects.

Veran
12-04-2013, 10:04 PM
nr. 6 is terrifying.

obsidianarchangel
12-04-2013, 10:17 PM
totally 22:) made me lol so hard. only issue was they should have used a better scene. and i wanted to see the numa numa

obsidianarchangel
12-04-2013, 10:18 PM
*sigh* I was gonna get into this challenge but I procrastinated too long. And here I was gonna use the "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!" meme. Oh well.

Enough self-pity, back to voting. Anyway, I only 25% of the memes I don't get. It's kind of hard to choose since there's almost two of each meme in some respects.
i agree. over 9k was needed

ThatsNotMyName_studio
12-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Watched it 2x.
As you would expect from me, didn't get the meme in many cases.
it's between 7, 9, and 10 for me.

obsidianarchangel
12-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Most of the second half memes I didn't get, someone needs to list what the memes are for ignorant me.

PS: No Dr Octogamapus, now I feel silly for not using it, thinking it'd be overused.

10, I didn't get the meme, but I laughed at how that guy somehow fit with each death.

i think i got some of em,but then this is the internet, we cannot be molested all day. did not get the pink nips either, but the "right in the childhood" guy was pretty epic

humnut
12-04-2013, 11:20 PM
I love Half-Life Full-Life, 3 gets my vote.

hosokawa37
12-05-2013, 12:25 AM
everyone seems to be liking 10. me, it was ok. i get the joke, but a lil dragged on imo.

stuck between 4 different vids, but i get the feeling i know which one im voting for

Akyho
12-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Ok I boiled it down to 9 and 19. Chose 19 due to the almost perfect synced feeling of it all as if it was it was the original audio on concept and audio.

Nintendo Maniac 64
12-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Now we need another challenge with really old memes. I mean, when I think of an old meme I think of things like All Your Base.

So basically pre-YouTube memes?

Marbil
12-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Really good episode in my opinion. It was pretty good quality in all of the clips and the jokes was actually kind of funny. Bravo! Have to watch it one more time tomorrow though to know what to vote for.

SarcotarascusN
12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
A lot of these memes are either ones I haven't heard of or have gotten sick of (nobody needed more Falcon Punch), so I wasn't keen on this episode. Attack on Titan + "Stupid Sexy Flanders" was pretty funny, but that might have had more to do with the original audio being funny than the combination.

urahara1001
12-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Decided, I gotta give it up for dick in a box.

Sir Fluffykins
12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Is Dick in a box even a meme?

Haar
12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Apparently.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dick-in-a-box

PrinnyCat
12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I think it got popular enough to be a meme, similar to things like 'what, what, in the butt?' and other comedic songs

Thetruecrow
12-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Never before have I enjoyed knowing what Leeroy was when it happened, as much as I do right now.

Ones I liked but will keep my mindless comments about to myself:
3, 4, 9, 11, 12(classic), 13, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23

Individual pointless comments:

2:
So clever, much like.

8:
I wish it had "Show me your Moves" somehow. :)

10:
It's right in the childhood, but ehh.. Needs more 4kids copy pasted on Light's face.
That, or at least have him start out saying he's gonna write a fanfic(redead).

15:
I JUST LOST THE... Wait.. It's been dead for a while now.

21:
Oh man, that movie is ****ing awesome, plus that's a good Anime, the manga is confusing as hell though..
Also, Gipsy Kings in the background, hohhh man. +1 +2.

lilstow
12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
#10 isn't the right in the childhood meme.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hnnnnnng
some classic examples:
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/949291/hnnnnng-screencap.png
http://global3.memecdn.com/HNNNNG_o_90810.jpg

Marbil
12-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Hmm thinks it stands between 9, 10, 13 or 15 buuuuut i think I laugh most at 9 so there goes my vote.

SilentChaz
12-06-2013, 08:51 AM
I fear those of you calling this a good round have become far too forgiving recently.

This was another weak batch, only three (arguably four) worthy contenders for inclusion in the “best of” this time, but I guess that’s the important thing- at least it’s not zero.

========

01 - Slayers upon layers - I hear the music and I smile... then it goes a full 40 seconds and ends rather anticlimactically… at least it had rainbows. Not bad.

03 - >:( - I have no idea what meme this is referencing, but the smiley did make me laugh.

08 - Titan Pawnch - We've seen at least two Falcon Punch clips in the past already, this entry didn't put a fresh spin on the idea or do anything clever with it.
I'm getting tired of saying this- but this is yet another entry that comes across as unoriginal and uninspired.

09 - Downfall - We all know and worship Zarxrax here, but does the average AMV Hell viewer know who he is?
If they don't- the entry doesn't make it clear who he (or she) is or why we should care. As the clip itself stated- “Who is they?!”

10 - Death NHNNNNNNG - This made me laugh, and right in the middle of the library. The meme image probably could have been changed for a little variety or the clip shortened by a few seconds, but otherwise- good.

12 - Crab v Zombie - See entry 8. Not a bad editing job, but this feels like little more than an updated recreation of the “massive damage” skit in Hell4, just with more filler audio.

23 - What’s Joing on - I know it isn’t canon, but I enjoyed the AMV tennis version (http://youtu.be/ZytT-auCVM0?t=3m8s) of this clip better :]
That said- this entry isn’t bad… but it did lack rainbows.

04 and 11 - Sword Art OffSync / NGEnkins - These two clips suffer from a problem prevalent in a lot of entries lately.
Both are technically sound- they're edited well enough, the sound and video quality is good, they fulfil the brief of the challenge... the one thing they fail to do however- the important thing- is tell a joke.

"omg, he just ran in" is not a punchline. Unless we're told of the consequences of Mr. Jenkin's actions- the joke is incomplete. There’s nothing funny about it.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3600/e9w9.jpg

Entries like these really need to stop. It’s well established by now that most of us here know how to slap ill-fitting audio over footage of Chinese cartoons, but please, peeps, show some effort and try to do something funny with your entries.

I haven't seen SAO, but I am familiar with the cartoon with the red robot in it:
After Asuka cleaves the Angel- it comes back to life as two separate entities, the two Evas are subsequently pwned and the next scene cuts to a post-mission briefing where the characters reflect on their failure…

^Snippets of these sequences could have been edited in to the entry, along with other parts of the original meme video’s audio like “Stick to the plan! Stick to the plan!” and “Leeroy, you are just stupid as hell”.
This revised entry would show Asuka making the infamous war cry, then the amusing consequences of her bull-headed decision.
It isn’t the funniest joke ever told, no, but at least it is one.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2346/5qwr.jpg

On a side note- another skit using SAO with this gag was used in AMV Déjà vu (which had the same problem, as it happens); this isn’t AMV Hell canon of course- so it can’t be said that entries 04 and 11 were unoriginal.
Anyway, just thought I’d give Amo a quick plug (http://www.amvhell.com/showthread.php?27351-AMV-Déjà-Vu&highlight=deja), because it’s not a bad little project, I dare say it’s even good.

========

My vote is currently a toss-up between 01, 10 and none of the above.

Sir Fluffykins
12-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm going 10, having watched it again, 10 is the one that got a laugh out of me.

bonehimer
12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I like the seaking one for being straightforward.

urahara1001
12-06-2013, 03:43 PM
04 and 11 - Sword Art OffSync / NGEnkins - These two clips suffer from a problem prevalent in a lot of entries lately.
Both are technically sound- they're edited well enough, the sound and video quality is good, they fulfil the brief of the challenge... the one thing they fail to do however- the important thing- is tell a joke.

"omg, he just ran in" is not a punchline. Unless we're told of the consequences of Mr. Jenkin's actions- the joke is incomplete. There’s nothing funny about it.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3600/e9w9.jpg

Entries like these really need to stop. It’s well established by now that most of us here know how to slap ill-fitting audio over footage of Chinese cartoons, but please, peeps, show some effort and try to do something funny with your entries.

I haven't seen SAO, but I am familiar with the cartoon with the red robot in it:
After Asuka cleaves the Angel- it comes back to life as two separate entities, the two Evas are subsequently pwned and the next scene cuts to a post-mission briefing where the characters reflect on their failure…

^Snippets of these sequences could have been edited in to the entry, along with other parts of the original meme video’s audio like “Stick to the plan! Stick to the plan!” and “Leeroy, you are just stupid as hell”.
This revised entry would show Asuka making the infamous war cry, then the amusing consequences of her bull-headed decision.
It isn’t the funniest joke ever told, no, but at least it is one.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2346/5qwr.jpg

I agree with your overall point, but not with your premise for this example. Given that this is, as established by the challenge, old memes, the examples here do exist in popular culture. Everybody knows them, and knows what happens in them. Everyone knows that after someone shouts Leeroy's battle cry and charges, it's an act of stupidity. It doesn't always have to be established what happens after the fact; the very act itself COULD be the joke. I would equate it a suave guy using the "How you doin'?" line made popular by Friends. Everyone knows it's a simple minded attempt to get into someone's pants, and depending on the circumstances could be funny in and of itself.

With that said, however, I do agree that some additional context here would have been nice. I'm not fully familiar with SAO, and when I saw it I gave the benefit of the doubt and guessed that the context was in the episode itself, that in the show this was from a scene that later turned out to be a blindingly stupid move, and was left out either due to time constraint, fit, or simply being obvious once you have seen it. It wasn't funny to me, but I wrote it off as a joke that I just didn't get for not knowing the reference. To use my other example, say you applied the line to a scene with a guy hitting on a trap. If you know the character is a trap, you understand the context and get the joke, and restating it may or may not be going over the top depending on the context.

Again, I agree with your premise; tell an actual joke. But it is possible to just use a reference as a joke if the context is known.

Sir Fluffykins
12-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Actually there's a Sword Art Online episode where "army" dudes start a fight with the floor boss and start getting hammered (if you die in the game you die for real), the heroes then arrive and find the guys left can't escape the room and the leader dies and when a helpless soldier screams, our heroes charge in in unplanned shambles to save the soldiers.

HOWEVER the clip uses Asuna as leeroy (um) and shows scenes from various episodes. So to me who's seen the show, it's a mess.

Where I thought it'd be funnier showing the players dying with the "I'm down, Mat is down, duel is down"

glory of llama
12-07-2013, 03:48 AM
oh man, so many good ones this time too!!

7 was awesome, 9 was awesome, 10 made me laff real good, 11 was pretty well done, I really liked 12's take on that, 13 was freaking hilarious, 15 gave me one good LOL except for when it said "you've lost it" cause that's pretty much the joke", freaking 19 was hilarious too "sexy flanders" was brilliant, 20 was decent, and of course 23 was pretty funny, especially with the ICQ or AIM soundbytes

gonna have to go with 13 though!

Virgil_Harris
12-07-2013, 06:06 AM
I was really impressed with almost every entry and this is probably the best bunch of submissions yet. I voted for 23, but it was a very close decision (gave it the win because of how it fit closest with the original meme to me) 1, 4, 7, 9, 15, and 19 only lost my vote by a nose. Good job everyone!

Marxist
12-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I went with #1 because that worked far better than it should have.

NodMan
12-08-2013, 12:06 PM
#20, Pak Chooie Unf!

Zarxrax
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
I've went ahead and closed the voting because we have a pretty clear winner here.
Congrats to Ryden50 with Video 13!

SuperLoliSentai
12-18-2013, 01:00 AM
I've went ahead and closed the voting because we have a pretty clear winner here.
Congrats to Ryden50 with Video 13!

But how can I make a bunch of extra accounts and vote for my clip to win if you end it early?

Also grats Ryden50

FORDboy357
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/second-is-the-best.jpg

Sir Fluffykins
12-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Worthy victory, well done

ThatsNotMyName_studio
12-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Congratulations on your blowout victory =)

And I think it's time for a new strategy for me.
I think I'm going to set out to make the worst video
possible each time. I'm finding it out of my skills-set
to make the best, when I don't even approach "good".

HeHe...and here I thought it was going to take forever
to finish '2013'. I'll have it submitted 30 mins from now =).

Fendo
12-28-2013, 07:42 PM
seriously, another numa numa video... made it to the amvhell collection... with all respect, mr. Zarxrax must be a masochist xD
real talk now... no chuck norris video? for real! i'm so sad :'(

MADEVIL
12-29-2013, 08:01 PM
seriously, another numa numa video... made it to the amvhell collection... with all respect, mr. Zarxrax must be a masochist xD
real talk now... no chuck norris video? for real! i'm so sad :'(

You do realize that Zarxrax is not picking the videos in these challenges, the videos are submitted, compiled together and voted on by the members

Fendo
12-30-2013, 12:40 AM
You do realize that Zarxrax is not picking the videos in these challenges, the videos are submitted, compiled together and voted on by the members
no pal, I didn't knew that, I was sure the clips were still selected for a quality/content control made by Zarxrax and was up to him to allow or not allow a submission.

SilentChaz
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
I was sure the clips were still selected for a quality/content control made by Zarxrax
You believed this…. after challenge #9?

I am curious though Zarx, have there actually been any rejected entries for any challenges so far?

Zarxrax
12-31-2013, 02:34 AM
You believed this…. after challenge #9?

I am curious though Zarx, have there actually been any rejected entries for any challenges so far?

Not based on crappy editing. Maybe on technical issues.

SilentChaz
12-31-2013, 10:14 AM
We all appreciate your hard work and sacrifice.

Sir Fluffykins
12-31-2013, 02:54 PM
My god, the horrors Zarx must see, I'm so sorry man

(Q_Q)7 *salute*

urahara1001
12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
My god, the horrors Zarx must see, I'm so sorry man

(Q_Q)7 *salute*

To be fair, he does set the topics and put the horrors in motion.