Thread: Zarx264gui 3.0

Default Zarx264gui 3.0

Here is the newest release of my own video encoding application, Zarx264gui.
    Version 3.0, released Oct 15, 2013. Download and changelog can be found at the following link.
    http://www.amvhell.com/stuff/zarx264gui/

This Windows application lets you encode video files as H.264 MPEG4/AVC. It is intended primarily for encoding AMVs, and the default settings and the features built into the program are designed with that goal in mind.

Recommended settings for videos that you will submit to amv minis:
    1. First export your video from your editing program as an uncompressed avi with uncompressed audio. (See below for more details)
    2. Change quantizer setting to 15 or 16. This should make the encode visually lossless for the most part, to minimize quality loss.
    3. Choose MKV container, and select "FLAC" as the audio type. This will prevent any degradation in audio quality.
    4. Go into the advanced tab, and under the "EXE" setting, select "10-bit video / x86". This will help keep video quality looking good.
    Please note that these settings are designed to keep maximum quality FOR SUBMITTING TO AMV MINIS, and are not ideal for stuff you might post around the internet for other people. The default settings are recommended for general encodes.

Best practices to keep in mind while encoding:
    - Every time you encode to a lossy format like this, there is some degradation in video and audio quality.
    - Encoders built into editing software generally suck, so you are better off exporting uncompressed or lossless files from them and doing your encoding in an application like Zarx264gui.
    - It is damaging (and you are completely missing the point) if you export a compressed file (such as MP4) from your editing software and then encode it again afterwards.
    - Keep lossy encoding to a minimum. You should only ever need to do it once, which is right before you send your final video to someone or post it online.

Thanks Zarxrax! I've used your tool throughout my AMV-editing career and it's definitely a great help. The last version wasn't coping well with Windows 7 much so this is definitely welcome. Keep up the great work.
    There was a young clerk who disagreed sharply with one of Curzon's memoranda. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, "Round Objects". Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
    -Sir Alan Lascelles

Does anyone else have an issue where the "Done!" message never appears, regardless of the progress bar?

EDIT: Never mind. It only happens when I use the constant bitrate setting.
    Last edited by Haar; 10-20-2013 at 12:06 AM.

*Smacks Head* Forgot to download this. Really liked the last version.

Quote Originally Posted by Haar View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue where the "Done!" message never appears, regardless of the progress bar?

EDIT: Never mind. It only happens when I use the constant bitrate setting.
    Does that happen consistently whenever you use that setting?
    I have seen that error before but couldn't figure out how to reproduce it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    Does that happen consistently whenever you use that setting?
    I have seen that error before but couldn't figure out how to reproduce it yet.
    Yes. I tried using that setting on two different uncompressed avi files exported from Sony Vegas Pro 10. They both yielded the same result. Probably worth noting that I tried both the default 8-bit and the 10-bit setting.

Hmm... i cant reproduce this with a few files I tried.
    I'll see if I can test with something that comes out of vegas. Maybe vegas is doing something weird to the file.

That did happen to me a few times with the previous version, but I haven't noticed it so far with the current one. There didn't seem to be any consistency to it back then either.
    There was a young clerk who disagreed sharply with one of Curzon's memoranda. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, "Round Objects". Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
    -Sir Alan Lascelles

ive read the change log but i dont see anything that i look at while converting. is there a simpler version of the changes?
    the previous version works fine.

"Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

Quote Originally Posted by Guthix View Post
    ive read the change log but i dont see anything that i look at while converting. is there a simpler version of the changes?
    the previous version works fine.
    Not sure what you mean. The current changelog is as simple as they come. I just listed the major changes and left everything else out. Can you be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    Not sure what you mean. The current changelog is as simple as they come. I just listed the major changes and left everything else out. Can you be more specific.
    framerate, resolution, bitrate, audio bitrate, conversion time. - settings i adjust when converting. change log either doesnt have any of those or i dont understand how they may be linked. if none of the mentioned things are updated i dont realy have a reason for upgrading.

"Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

You're not spending 400 bucks on a new camera, Guthix, you're just taking five minutes to download a file. Why not upgrade anyway?
    -Sir Alan Lascelles

Quote Originally Posted by kapparomeo View Post
    You're not spending 400 bucks on a new camera, Guthix, you're just taking five minutes to download a file. Why not upgrade anyway?
    small changes have big issues, id prefer to get ****ed in the mouth for something usefull, rather then features that ill never use, besides if you read up there be dark storms surround the new version.

Keep in mind I have a buggy computer anyway, so any issues I have probably aren't actually common.

Quote Originally Posted by Guthix View Post
    small changes have big issues, id prefer to get ****ed in the mouth for something usefull, rather then features that ill never use, besides if you read up there be dark storms surround the new version.
    There was one complaint from Haar... ****ING HAAR!