Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of AMV Hell

This should be condensed to a song, namely "the history of Tenacious D"

^ What he said. Except it should be in the form of AMV Hell clips.
    Will create AMVs for money.

you never know what you and some random person could end up doing together

I live for anime, games, and justice
    I am a gamer, decent at making amv hell clips, good problem solver, and very good listener.

This is my AMV JIGOKU NO YO(like hell) video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6lvMd3ZlKc

And I thank the beautiful, smart, and awesome Sommer for bringing me into the great world of AMV HELL, thank you Momo, i <3 you dearly.

Interesting read...still need to go to a decent AniCon.

also you dish out amv mini about every month and half, or 2, amv hell 6 will have to be in AT LEAST 2-3 years

I live for anime, games, and justice
    I am a gamer, decent at making amv hell clips, good problem solver, and very good listener.

This is my AMV JIGOKU NO YO(like hell) video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6lvMd3ZlKc

And I thank the beautiful, smart, and awesome Sommer for bringing me into the great world of AMV HELL, thank you Momo, i <3 you dearly.

Default The Real History of AMV Hell

It was a cold December morning, 2002. I had just woken up in a bathtub full of ice. My right kidney was gone. The girl was dead. I decided to start editing some anime music videos. I had been a longtime fan of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In but none of that mattered now. She was dead, and I was left naked and shivering in an abandoned building on the outskirts of L.A. That style of variety show, which was perfected with Laugh-In, became a format that really stuck with me. I wanted to see that comedy format revived somewhere, but no one seemed to be doing it. Music video editing had been an interest of mine since 1998, when I watched a college friend edit anime clips to music in amazing 320x240 mpeg-1 quality.

Flash forward to 2002, close to death, trying to start a fire to get warm, eating an old leather shoe. Editing to a full song was difficult. Most of the time there just wasn't enough action in the source anime to make a 4 minute music video interesting. I started making shorter and shorter videos. I was a big fan of the old mp3.com while it was still allowing bands to upload anything. A lot of indie rock artists got to be well known among the internet crowd. I used a few songs from mp3.com listed bands in short videos.

By 2003, I had maybe 20 or 30 short clips, most terrible. I sent a bunch to Zarxrax and almost everyone else on my AIM buddylist. Eventually Zarxrax said we should just throw together the best clips and call it a music video. I was like ?alright, whatever, my kidney is gone!?, and we called it AMV Hell. The name comes from the video Hell Maid May by Kusoyaro Productions editing under a pseudonym. We also decided to reference that video by using the Rocky Horror font for the AMV Hell titles. The tv transition is from a Wario Ware game. No one laughs at the Jin Roh - Reel Big Fish - Hungry Like The Wolf video. Ever. I originally planned to sync the opening speech in the song to the Jin Roh main character's helmet's eyes, with the redness in the eyes fading in and out. A full version of that video existed at one point in time. I've never shown it to anyone. A girl gets eaten by wolves in the movie is the joke.

In 2004, AMV Hell won every award for comedy and being an anime music video at every convention in the world. Maybe the girl isn?t dead. Maybe she was the one who took my kidney. AMV Hell 2 was mostly leftover clips with a handful that weren?t convention-friendly. Then we opened the project up to anyone anywhere that wanted to throw in their unfinished AMVs and called it AMV Hell 3: The Motion Picture. I insisted on ?The Motion Picture? part. Then there was 4 and 5. AMV Hell will probably go on forever. It will outlive me and you and all of us, like the Berserk manga. AMV Hell stole my kidney.

good read. i need to work out my problems so i can finish my clips T_T

"Hmm... I wanted to say something really witty, something to spice things up. I then decided to post this. I?m happy with my decision."

......wat?

......hang on...but i was just......could it be......

MIND****!!!!!1!!!1 *runs while panicking*
    Last edited by animemental1; 10-09-2010 at 12:16 AM.

look at the third post and it will make sense =P

"Hmm... I wanted to say something really witty, something to spice things up. I then decided to post this. I?m happy with my decision."

Nebraska... don't remind me that it sucks

Mabye your kidney never really existed

Maybe we should ask Yuni. I'll go talk to her.

That was an awesome story ^^

I'm gonna start making clips and i'm gonna guarantee that im gonna have at least 5 clips in amv hell 6! :P

And right after i saw amv hell 5, i was like damn, 5 is an odd number

And then i thought:

AMV Hell 6 - Because 5 is an odd number

XD

Wow! That is really cool! I'm angry that I was never at any of the premieres. I did see most of AMV Hell 5 at Otakon in the preview type panel at 1 in the morning. However, I was on this site the night/morning 5 came out, and I guess that's good enough for me.

And I always stay for the credits! But maybe that was more because I just stuck in awe after seeing 4 for the first time at a convention.

maybe he was really drunk the night before

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast