Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The History of AMV Hell

Quote Originally Posted by ssgwnbtd View Post
    It was a cold December morning, 2002. I had just woken up in a bathtub full of ice. My right kidney was gone. The girl was dead. I decided to start editing some anime music videos. I had been a longtime fan of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In but none of that mattered now. She was dead, and I was left naked and shivering in an abandoned building on the outskirts of L.A. That style of variety show, which was perfected with Laugh-In, became a format that really stuck with me. I wanted to see that comedy format revived somewhere, but no one seemed to be doing it. Music video editing had been an interest of mine since 1998, when I watched a college friend edit anime clips to music in amazing 320x240 mpeg-1 quality.

Flash forward to 2002, close to death, trying to start a fire to get warm, eating an old leather shoe. Editing to a full song was difficult. Most of the time there just wasn't enough action in the source anime to make a 4 minute music video interesting. I started making shorter and shorter videos. I was a big fan of the old mp3.com while it was still allowing bands to upload anything. A lot of indie rock artists got to be well known among the internet crowd. I used a few songs from mp3.com listed bands in short videos.

By 2003, I had maybe 20 or 30 short clips, most terrible. I sent a bunch to Zarxrax and almost everyone else on my AIM buddylist. Eventually Zarxrax said we should just throw together the best clips and call it a music video. I was like ?alright, whatever, my kidney is gone!?, and we called it AMV Hell. The name comes from the video Hell Maid May by Kusoyaro Productions editing under a pseudonym. We also decided to reference that video by using the Rocky Horror font for the AMV Hell titles. The tv transition is from a Wario Ware game. No one laughs at the Jin Roh - Reel Big Fish - Hungry Like The Wolf video. Ever. I originally planned to sync the opening speech in the song to the Jin Roh main character's helmet's eyes, with the redness in the eyes fading in and out. A full version of that video existed at one point in time. I've never shown it to anyone. A girl gets eaten by wolves in the movie is the joke.

In 2004, AMV Hell won every award for comedy and being an anime music video at every convention in the world. Maybe the girl isn?t dead. Maybe she was the one who took my kidney. AMV Hell 2 was mostly leftover clips with a handful that weren?t convention-friendly. Then we opened the project up to anyone anywhere that wanted to throw in their unfinished AMVs and called it AMV Hell 3: The Motion Picture. I insisted on ?The Motion Picture? part. Then there was 4 and 5. AMV Hell will probably go on forever. It will outlive me and you and all of us, like the Berserk manga. AMV Hell stole my kidney.
    Hey, I liked the "Jin-Roh" clip. I wouldn't say it was roll-on-the-floor-laughing funny, but I think the music fit the scene well, and I like it.
    I think I am of the opinion (which not a lot of people seem to have) that putting some clips that aren't necessarily "funny" (that are just well-suited, or sort of atmospheric, or almost like traditional AMVs) balances out the videos well.

Between Heaven and Hell but not on Earth or even Purgatory.

TL;DR
    ^_\\

Check this $#!% out!
    Gainaxxx (Not hentai)
    AMV.avi (Hentai)
    Follow me on Twittahhblahhhh @SirEvilestDeath

You needed to do that, didn't you?

I understand.
    To every solution there's a problem.
    You can't always tell whether someone is really evil, or just stupid.
    Government: a system put in place to fail, so you don't have to.
    Suicide has a detrimental effect on your health.

The Ultimate Thunderskull of Astral Terror. For: The greatest gangster-movie ever made. Against: Your sanity.

WoW, that is quite a story of your workings on AMV Hell Zarxrax, I gotta say that it's a great series and I'm glad that you guys did it and continued to do it to
    I'm just a guy that loves making AMVs.

Wow I never even knew this article existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haar View Post
    I'm so strung out on my custom mixture of rage, repetitive stress injury, and Sunny D, I have no idea who any of you are.
    11/16/2013 13:10 <Haar> SSG? Guts? What kind of plebian do you take me for? The most important opinion belongs to my penis.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilestDeath View Post
    TL;DR
    Was that directed at me? (and I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm just curious).

"On like Donkey Kong"...
    Uh oh...if Nintendo gets wind of this Zarx might be sued...I think...did that patent ever get through??

MOTHERFUGGIN' BONGOS!
    YEAH!

Regardless.
    AMV Hell will always be one of those priceless, irreplaceable pieces of the vast "series of tubes" known as the Internet.
    I love it. It got me into Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Excel Saga. I'm glad it's still around for all of us forum members to wax about. I'm happy (read: lucky) to at least have submitted one, measly, 30-second clip into AMV Hell 5.
    But hey, hopefully it'll keep going...

MOTHERFUGGIN' BONGOS!
    YEAH!

Amazing story

What makes a man? Is it the woman in his arms? Just cause she has big titties? Or is it the way he fights every day?
    ....No, it's probably the titties.

To help you remain tranquil in the face of almost certain death, smooth jazz will be deployed, in three, two, one...

Three years and a day!

That ain't nuthin'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123