Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Cars

To help you remain tranquil in the face of almost certain death, smooth jazz will be deployed, in three, two, one...

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeman View Post
    Damn, time to get the penimaster pro and move to Dubai and join the police force me thinks.
    Last edited by Dippy; 07-26-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Meanwhile in VE:

To every solution there's a problem.
    You can't always tell whether someone is really evil, or just stupid.
    Government: a system put in place to fail, so you don't have to.
    Suicide has a detrimental effect on your health.

The Ultimate Thunderskull of Astral Terror. For: The greatest gangster-movie ever made. Against: Your sanity.

Always wanted one of these, but they've gotten almost to the point of being collector's items.
    To help you remain tranquil in the face of almost certain death, smooth jazz will be deployed, in three, two, one...

First car I drove was one of these. Had a Perkins Diesel. Very loud, very loose steering.

This thing's even worse

in every way, but seems affordable... People are after the diesel version, this particular one isn't.

The Ultimate Thunderskull of Astral Terror. For: The greatest gangster-movie ever made. Against: Your sanity.

Looked up Scouts for sale, drive-able fixer-upper: $9k, nicely restored: $15k, cherry customized: $30k. Original dealer price: Around $4k.

Last edited by Gleeman; 04-16-2017 at 03:19 AM.

Looked up Scouts for sale, drive-able fixer-upper: $9k, nicely restored: $15k, cherry customized: $30k. Original dealer price: Around $4k.
    You have to adjust for inflation:

Right now, the tyres alone could be worth $1700. Back in 1955, you could get a whole lot of stuff for a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Veran View Post
    You have to adjust for inflation:
    Oh I know, but Scouts are also really popular which drives the price up more. Could have picked a good one up in the late 80s/early 90s for a few grand, wish I had jumped before the 'vintage' label kicked in.

Always liked Rovers too but they are even harder to find this side of the Pond.

The Land Rover is OK if you can and are willing to fix it yourself. They are fairly cheap to maintain, but break down every week, minimum. Personally, I'd prefer a large Bronco or a C5 Chevy, but those are near impossible to find my side of the pond.

Scout is a better car though... A CJ is a better car. Almost everything is.

I could get a Toyota Hilux fairly easy, but those things are overpriced, or a Suzuki Vitara or a Jimny, but then I'd have to deal with higher taxes... those overshadow even Land Rover maintenance costs.

But I'd have a technically better vehicle.

Proper fun cars, these.

Usually quite affordable, and very driveable .
    The problem with them is this:

Most mechanics wont touch a timing chain job.

Timing chains last very long. Extra long if you maintain them properly. And it's a Suzuki: it should be rather simple. Around here you just take them to the dealers, where they know how to fix this sort of thing. (And timing chains aren't exactly the ultimate problem with these things.)

Belts break every 100K kilometers or 4-5 years. An annoying cost, that.

Similar thing, gives a somewhat more comfortable ride in town. If timing chains are that much of an issue...

Speaking of 4x4's and reliability, I'm in the market for a new vehicle after I've sold my Subaru and come into a little bit of money and I need something that is both nice, so I'm not embarrassed for my girlfriend to be seen in it, and stone axe reliable.

And also carry around three large dogs into the mountains.

2004-2007 Lexus LX470

I really do my research before buying a new car but I chose a doozy this time. They're pretty much identical to the contemporary Land Cruiser with a more luxurious interior but roughly half the price.

The problem is that i can't find one to buy. They're built to last a million miles and nobody wants to let go of one.

I hate being well-informed and/or picky...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thereís only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water thatís lying about being milk.

Those are fairly popular.

Running costs... not much. But bloody expensive to buy. New or used. A new Land Cruiser 120 (here) will cost like 3 brand new Suzuki Jimnys. A 10 year old Land cruiser 90 with 230K+ on it, they demand 3X as much as for pretty much anything else. And worst of all: everybody originally bought a diesel. No way I'm getting something like that. Can't afford an engine failure with that, and where I live, I' will have some (diesel's don't last long in short distance driving conditions.)

A used Landcruiser 200 will be fine, but those drive like Scania Vabis.

The alternative is... ??? Do the Suburbans even work anymore? I'm told the larger Ford SUVs are good still.

They don't do big very well these days, do they?

Large, roomy, reasonably reliable... completely impossible to get. (Sort of the Land Cruiser before there was the Land Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Veran View Post
    Those are fairly popular.

Running costs... not much. But bloody expensive to buy. New or used. A new Land Cruiser 120 (here) will cost like 3 brand new Suzuki Jimnys. A 10 year old Land cruiser 90 with 230K+ on it, they demand 3X as much as for pretty much anything else. And worst of all: everybody originally bought a diesel. No way I'm getting something like that. Can't afford an engine failure with that, and where I live, I' will have some (diesel's don't last long in short distance driving conditions.)

A used Landcruiser 200 will be fine, but those drive like Scania Vabis.

The alternative is... ??? Do the Suburbans even work anymore? I'm told the larger Ford SUVs are good still.

They don't do big very well these days, do they?

Large, roomy, reasonably reliable... completely impossible to get. (Sort of the Land Cruiser before there was the Land Cruiser)
    Knew a guy had one of those Cherokees in high school, he tricked out the engine, it ran and sounded great but you could almost see the gas gauge going down driving on the highway.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast