Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve AMV Hell Forums

Default Improve AMV Hell Forums

For a place that should be ideal for AMV/comedy fans to gather and enjoy a hobby- the level of vitriol and pointless arguments on this site is unacceptable.
    It feels shameful to be a member of this community.

Can we please do something to help improve AMV Hell Forums?

The recent (and currently on-going) antics of the AMV Minis Challenge - Final Destination thread (pages 3-6 and counting) are a fine example of everything wrong with this forum; instead of engaging in sensible debate or discussion of the hobby we enjoy- a vocal minority of the members here derail a thread by continually attacking the personalities of other members for no gain, and nobody objects.
    There seems to be an unspoken “that’s just the way things are around here” attitude on this forum, and that isn’t good enough.

The hearts of the community here aren’t about to be swayed by this little plea of mine; the sensible members are still going to be sensible, and the trolls will still be trolls; so I ask that the people in power- the moderators take action.

Something as simple as flexing a little muscle and cracking down on insulting posts; splitting tangents from threads; or exercising a ban-hammer now and again could go a long way towards improving these forums, restore a little order and make things more inviting for newcomers.
    Perhaps the appointment of a new moderator- a “community officer” of sorts could be considered, for a short period?

Something.

Kindly keep your unfunny “If you don’t like AMV Hell then you can get out” image macros to yourselves. As alien as the thought may seem- some people here actually want these forums to improve, and just might be willing to take steps towards achieving that goal.
    1. READ THE CREDITS. This idea has already been done. Be original.
    2. Congratulations, you can splice together footage of Chinese cartoons to ill-fitting music. Try adding a joke to your next clip, please.
    3. Stop quoting entire posts and or stop double-posting.
    4. Don't fade-out. It telegraphs the transition frame.
    5. Watch out for black-screen at the start/end. It looks amateur.
    6. You need to use better sources/ different render settings.

On the other hand, it should be considered that (since we're humans) arguments are bound to occur every now and then. It's important for the moderating teams to exercise good discretion by not removing pertinent arguments and allowing courses of discussion, inflammatory or not, if they believe there's something to gain from the overall outcome. Should the vitriol (or overall amount of thread derailing responses) get to a point where topic related contributions come to a halt, it's the responsibility of the moderator to attempt to defuse the situation through warnings before taking any sort of moderating action. It's better to see a thread where its course of argument has gotten inflammatory and back to normal than seeing mere censorship. It shows more respect for the users contributions and a more positive character for the site's community: it's gone through hell and back, therefore it knows what it's doing.
    Last edited by milleniummaster18; 01-30-2015 at 06:07 PM.

**** YOU MILLENIUMMASTER18! Don't go assuming we're all human just because YOU are!

Bigot.
    'Twas grief enough to think mankind
    All hollow, servile, insincere;
    But worse to trust to my own mind
    And find the same Corruption there.

There are lot of sensible, coherent arguments and discussions in alot of the threads, which is really good as they make valid points which engage the community, This makes the site and the members better.

But the stuff that happening on the final destination thread right now is just pointless innate drivel.

I'd like to apologize for the stupid,immature and pointless posts i've posted in there recently and I will try to post better and on topic posts.
    Last edited by jinzo64; 01-30-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    lick,lick,lick,nom,nom,nom
    Head Maid of AMV Hell Cafe
    Jinzo64 On Youtube
    Jinzo64 On Vimeo
    Now on Skype Jinzo64.
    psn-sakurasakamoto

Well, let the hilarities ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by jinzo64 View Post
    There are lot of sensible, coherent arguments and discussions in alot of the threads, which is really good as they make valid points which engage the community.
    I disagree, I believe that there aren't many threads where any actual relevant discussion is put on the table.

'Twas grief enough to think mankind
    All hollow, servile, insincere;
    But worse to trust to my own mind
    And find the same Corruption there.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentChaz View Post
    cry babys first plea
    youre a retard chaz, and im not saying that simply to insult, what youre asking for is equivalent of a claustrophobia patient to be cured by putting him in a cage

ive already told you, if you want the flames to go out, you need better content, because all these "antics" are more entertaining that all your amvs combined.

the tutorial video was a step in the right direction, though halfassed it may be

here, ill even throw a bone: make a thread for general editing issue solving. someone is making an amv, gets stuck, asks in thread, elite senpais answer, profit.

"Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

That would be implying people ****post because the quality is bad, which is a partially inaccurate statement. People also ****post arbitrarily. Common reasons include: they have nothing relevant to say and/or there's no one to pull on their leash. The rest are people who are flustered about the reception of their work and resort to petty insults (despite the criticism), people who promote ignorance through carefree comments (which we can't afford to have), among others.

nothing relevant to say

i dont know about you but i cant talk about one friken video for a whole ****ing week [ and dont give me that tennis ****, id rather watch pewdiepie scream his face off then watch that garbadge]

the rest are flustered

not my fault you ****s go on ego power trips since the current system allows for the least **** video to win disregarding if its still **** or not, if the video were not **** there would be less negative reception for starters

"Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

I think a lot of the issues that have come up recently are mainly a direct result of the very competitive nature of the challenges themselves. Having that as the basis meant the goal was less aimed at creating a compilation of quality clips, but rather throwing clips at each other to see which is the best, and keeping it secretive all the while to avoid bias. As Guthix so eloquently put it, this all results in the competition being about the least **** entry winning. Competition breeds a competitive atmosphere, which in turn creates tension, trash talk, and so on. Of course most of this is going to be directed at the forum membership because those are the only people whose votes count.

I believe to improve the quality of the forums (and the videos being output with the hell label), our next major project needs to be less competitive, with more of a focus on community collaboration. The challenges succeeded in bringing in a bit of new blood for the contributions (myself included). I can't speak for everyone, but I know for myself that I got a lot of feedback on how to improve, and I believe my quality level has improved dramatically from where I started. Of course, there's still a lot I can learn (I hold no illusions that I'm that great, despite being given the 'elite' tag), and I know there's a lot of people who jumped in on the challenges later and/or less than I who could also use help improving. Either way, we've got some new people, now we just need to keep them interested and keep everyone on the path to improvement.

I know this all sounds a bit touchy touchy feel good and all that crap, but I still it's the way things need to go. Despite everyone here being a bag of dicks, we do still have a cool community and a great collective knowledge base. If we can get that directed toward cohesion rather than pitting ourselves against one another, I think we'll improve both in the quality of videos and on the forum.

[(D(>

Uhhh....Chaz...weren't YOU every bit as hateful as the rest of us on here? I can easily pull up numerous examples from your post history, if you'd like.

*edit* Seriously, Chaz. What happened? Did you suddenly "find Christ" or something? I mean, it's better than Roman's 180 personality flip.....but still.....

And as sad as it is, Guts is right about the antics being more entertaining than the videos themselves. That's part of the reason we have these antics in the first place: they're entertainment.
    Last edited by thedarkmessenger; 01-30-2015 at 10:19 PM.

^Your point? Me being the most hated person on this forum isn’t an issue here.

I’m more interested in hearing your thoughts on what should happen if and when my words are truly off-topic, unhelpful, unconstructive, offensive and provocative to the detriment of the subject at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mill View Post
    moderation, in moderation
    Agreed.

I would say that the moderation on this site has been unforgivably lax. This is a problem and needs to change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Guthix View Post
    1. if the video were not **** there would be less negative reception for starters
    2. you need better content, because all these "antics" are more entertaining that all your amvs combined.
    3. i dont know about you but i cant talk about one friken video for a whole ****ing week
    1. Negative reception isn’t really the problem here, everybody is within their rights to love and or loathe the video content produced by AMV Hell- but they can do so by being mature about it, not devolving threads and discussions into “****storms”. These are part of the problem.

2. Like it or not, this “better content” has been provided. The “Final Destination” AMV minis challenge video (a collection of all the videos voted most popular, no less) still isn’t good enough material for everybody to discuss sensibly, as can be clearly seen in its corresponding thread. This suggestion of yours is not likely to solve the issue.

3. Nobody is obligated to talk about a single subject for one or two weeks. Nobody is obligated to make irrelevant and pointlessly insulting comments either. See?

Quote Originally Posted by urahara1001 View Post
    1. I believe to improve the quality of the forums (and the videos being output with the hell label), our next major project needs to be less competitive, with more of a focus on community collaboration.

2. everyone here [is] a bag of dicks
    1. A lovely thought, Urahara, but lacking in details.
    What kind of a project? Tell us. Will “community collaboration” really prevent the kind of nonsense seen in the final destination thread?

2. Why the negativity? Are you calling me a “bag of dicks” too?
    That kind of rotten thinking hasn’t helped improve anything since you joined, and just makes you look foolish for joining a forum full of- and associating with- bags of dicks.
    Drop this “that’s just the way things are around here” attitude, forchristsake.
    Don’t settle for a community full of “bags of dicks”, demand something better.

I was invited to be part of collaboration project by a friend on facebook, But turned it down due still being new to video editing.

The idea was the group picked a song then each person got a section of that song then they'd sync up an anime to there section then send it in and it would all be put together in to one AMV.
    We could try something like that.

We'd pick a song
    Then we would pick a Genre of anime so the clips would hopefully sync up with each.
    So you'd have similar animes rolling into each other like you could mech themed animes so a Gurren Laggan clip would roll into a gundam clip then that could go into a neon genesis clip and so on.

If the genre was mechs we could use something like Kenny Loggins Danger zone.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dangerzone
    lick,lick,lick,nom,nom,nom
    Head Maid of AMV Hell Cafe
    Jinzo64 On Youtube
    Jinzo64 On Vimeo
    Now on Skype Jinzo64.
    psn-sakurasakamoto

The problem, as I see it, is that quite a large amount of regular forum members contribute to off-topic and sometimes inflammatory conversation. It does not appear to be limited to one or two people disrupting the site. And that's what makes this a tricky issue. I could impose draconian forum rules, but if its impacting literally half of the members, then that could not only make a huge workload for the moderators, but it would likely turn away many regulars, or possibly incite some people into wanting to troll just for the heck of it.

I've been around a number of forums in my day. And I've seen how a lot of stuff goes down. Many may not remember, but animemusicvideos.org used to have an off-topic section back in the early 2000's. It was the most popular part of their forum, and got tons of posts. But the members were also quite unruly, probably not a whole lot different than what we see here. The exception was that the moderators did heavily moderate it for the most part. But despite the rules, despite people knowing what they are allowed and not allowed to say, and despite there being numerous moderators available to handle it, they eventually closed that section of the forum down, simply because it was too much trouble. That was one of the things that led to a huge decrease in their forum activity there, and contributed to overall lack of participation on the site as a whole. People felt that the site was just no fun anymore.

I agree that this forum currently kinda sucks. A problem is that there is typically not a whole lot of serious content to discuss. Curbing off-topic talk could likely curb all talk.
    I'm certainly open to changing things around a bit. But its something that needs careful consideration.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast