Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Improve AMV Hell Forums

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Distict5-9 View Post
    I guess that our aversion to new threads might play a part in this. Perhaps the idea of creating a lot of threads, each of which revolving entirely around a single, somewhat minor topic, doesn't really sit well within this community. Maybe some sort of "Chatbox mentality" at work...? Or, heck, it might just be that, unlike the bigger forums that have those sort of threads, there's just not enough people to carry on a conversation on any single, specific topic for that long around here, so casual, sparse discussion tend to just be more fitting...

    EDIT: Panda's "Recipe Sharing" thread is a good example of this dynamic.

    Still, we could try to experiment and break the monotony a bit by getting a few more specific discussion-based/bait threads up to clutter the Off-Topic section. Might just reel in a few new users, for a change....
    From what I've seen, the aversion isn't to new threads per se, but to the creation of threads with no longevity that die within a few post. Especially so if it's knocking the more popular threads off the font page. I don't think most are against the idea of new threads if they're relevant and engaging.

    Discussion forums wouldn't be created for topics of minor interest, but to facilitate areas of great interest based on the communities userbase.
    In particular, the kind of threads that I'm thinking that have great potential for discussion are threads based around specific currently airing anime. If the life cycle of an average anime is between 3-6 months with episodes released weekly, then there will certainly be plenty of opportunity for good discussion over a considerable period of time.

    I would be surprised if anyone here is currently satisfied with the level of discussions, because it certainly is sparse. From an admin level, it's about creating opportunity and encouraging more lasting and on topic discussions.

    It seems like bit of an oxymoron to expect engaging on-topic discussion to be happening in an all generalized off-topic forum. I'm very interested though to see how much activity it would get, even if on trial basis.
    AMV Hellspawn
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    503

    Default

    According to my clock- at 04:30 on 1/31/2015 a small request was made in the Final Destination thread. Its four days later now and it looks like this very simple action has been effective, the arguments have stopped (in that specific thread, at the very least).
    Irreverent this place may be- authority is still recognised, it would seem.

    Thanks, Zarx. I just wish stuff like this happened a little more often.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is that quite a large amount of regular forum members contribute to off-topic and sometimes inflammatory conversation.
    Thereís no denying that many of us do end up joining in on off-topic/inflammatory conversation, but the instigators are few, and itís these people that need a slap on the wrist.

    Quote Originally Posted by LawRayLiet View Post
    Having topic focused discussion forums I believe would inspire more thread creation and some actual lasting discussions.
    Couldnít hurt.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Resembool
    Posts
    2,268

    Default

    The Idea of an MEP has been touched upon. These projects seem(ed) to be fairly popular elsewhere,
    but don't seem to fly here. Pity.
    Anyway, I have a skeleton of an idea for a sort of MEP team challenge.
    Roughly, this:
    An editing team of 4 (possibly a team Captain + 3).
    >Each member does a 15 second segment (4 members X 15 s = 1-minute clip)
    All teams will use the same audio source as topic, but may choose any 1-minute
    section for their final project. Yes, the 4 clips must be contiguous.
    >Video source is up to each individual editor.

    Final projects could be polled for a winner like the challenges,
    or just posted for comment/ridicule as per the norm....

    Anyway, I could flesh this out more, but I'll put just this out there for now.
    Thoughts?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    I D ho
    Posts
    7,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LawRayLiet View Post
    In particular, the kind of threads that I'm thinking that have great potential for discussion are threads based around specific currently airing anime. If the life cycle of an average anime is between 3-6 months with episodes released weekly, then there will certainly be plenty of opportunity for good discussion over a considerable period of time.
    I approve of this idea and am considering the possibility of doing at least one of these threads for the Spring season.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,605

    Default

    If I were to create additional forum categories, what might be appropriate?
    A general Anime Discussion forum? Game discussion forum?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    I D ho
    Posts
    7,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LawRayLiet View Post
    In particular, the kind of threads that I'm thinking that have great potential for discussion are threads based around specific currently airing anime.
    Just so everyone knows, I'm calling dibs on Nanoha ViVid.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Depths of Beyond
    Posts
    5,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkmessenger View Post
    Just so everyone knows, I'm calling dibs on Nanoha ViVid.
    Zarx posts, after your post, so you then post, replying to a post, you could have replied to 3 days ago?

    @Zarx. I think the forum is actually fine, but I'll add a vote for "Video Games"
    wyrtt - "Also Sir Fluffykins; im sorry but you quite dumb. Steam is not video games seller. Steam is software seller. Please go and enducate yourself on that matter. You point is iinvalid. Vn without gameplay still software. And i like my software books colured and voiced"
    BlackMonster - "Let me remind you its not cartoon you ****in stupid child its ANIME And i am 100X smarter than you will ever sayonara baka"

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wish i had a place to return to
    Posts
    8,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    If I were to create additional forum categories, what might be appropriate?
    A general Anime Discussion forum? Game discussion forum?
    no

    "Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    I D ho
    Posts
    7,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Fluffykins View Post
    Zarx posts, after your post, so you then post, replying to a post, you could have replied to 3 days ago?
    I could've edited my post, but then there's a possibility people wouldn't see me calling Nanoha ViVid. Then again it's not likely anyone would care enough to make the thread themselves.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    If I were to create additional forum categories, what might be appropriate?
    A general Anime Discussion forum? Game discussion forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guthix View Post
    no
    Agreed, such places have their own "containment thread", and they live up to the title.

    Inherent disinterest in meaningful, constant contributions is perhaps one of the major reasons why threads don't branch out and become independent, not lack of focus. The containment threads serve as barriers that pile up very short conversations that do not have enough substance to live on their own (either because said conversations are incidental or they are done with very little resolve). Additional factors such as implicit thread creation discouragement, shown through many prior examples (with just reason in a lot of them, admittedly), also come into play.

    If you want to cut the pressure behind creating a new thread by designating a specific forum for those miscellaneous topics, I guess it's a good idea in that regard. Conversely, it would likely promote the creation of either redundant or pointless threads. That is, if they manage to get any influx of threads at all to make their worth. That's why I advocate against further sectioning off the forums: we don't need better sections; we need more responsible, progressive attitudes shown in regard to content creation.

    If you want to do something to the site, though. We could always use that "View First Unread" button working properly when the first unread post is actually a page or more behind.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bolingbrook IL
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Why would having short lived threads be such a bad thing? So what if the conversation doesn't last that long? Granted, I'd rather not have threads that just consist of a couple of posts that would be better left to the chatbox, but why is there such an aversion to threads that aren't likely to last for 100 some odd pages? I see this stigma come up a lot, and I really don't understand it. So long as the topic is interesting, what's the difference if it lasts for 2 pages or 200?




    [(D(>

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    I D ho
    Posts
    7,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milleniummaster18 View Post
    Inherent disinterest in meaningful, constant contributions is perhaps one of the major reasons why threads don't branch out and become independent, not lack of focus. The containment threads serve as barriers that pile up very short conversations that do not have enough substance to live on their own (either because said conversations are incidental or they are done with very little resolve). Additional factors such as implicit thread creation discouragement, shown through many prior examples (with just reason in a lot of them, admittedly), also come into play.
    This is another problem: interest. Sure we could have a million threads dedicated to individual anime....but will even the most popular one last more than a few pages? Only way I can see any real conversation actually happening in any new threads would be getting a lot more new members joining for longer than "hit and run". I don't think the active members we have now will have enough interest in these threads to make them worthwhile.

    We can still try, of course. I just think it'll take more than just the threads themselves to achieve our goal here. It's not impossible, but it's also not guaranteed.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clapistan
    Posts
    8,123

    Default

    Won't making threads for individual shows attract "the wrong crowd" anyway? Do we really want people so badly, we'd have a bunch of guys that weren't interested enough in AMVs in the first place to join up here, but will join up if we discuss flavor of the month anime #9258?

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Behind you, with a knife
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkmessenger View Post
    This is another problem: interest. Sure we could have a million threads dedicated to individual anime....but will even the most popular one last more than a few pages? Only way I can see any real conversation actually happening in any new threads would be getting a lot more new members joining for longer than "hit and run". I don't think the active members we have now will have enough interest in these threads to make them worthwhile.

    We can still try, of course. I just think it'll take more than just the threads themselves to achieve our goal here. It's not impossible, but it's also not guaranteed.
    would it be better if threads covered a genre of anime, as opposed to one each (such as action/comedy/drama etc),
    or themed threads (such as by year/production company etc.)?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    21,688

    Default

    I don't think make new thread is the answer, what might help is if we can generate interest in the current threads that have died, like the cafe, the what are you playing thread, Isn't there already threads for general conversation about manga,anime and gaming.

    But since this thread has gone things seem to have calmed down for the moment.

    Random thing
    Did anyone else see chazs new video on youtube?
    He is all the awesomes.
    lick,lick,lick,nom,nom,nom
    Head Maid of AMV Hell Cafe
    Jinzo64 On Youtube
    Jinzo64 On Vimeo
    Now on Skype Jinzo64.
    psn-sakurasakamoto

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •