Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nominate a Judge

Default Nominate a Judge

Question: If more judges were to be introduced for the next AMV Hell project, who should these judges be?

A few traits / things to consider when suggesting a candidate might be:

1. An interest in AMV Hell

Should the candidate have an encyclopaedic knowledge of AMV Hell and its history?
    If they were familiar with all the “official” iterations of AMV Hell from the “numbered” series, minis, challenges and the odd extras- they might be able to notice re-used ideas and references, or know if a submission fits the general AMV Hell “feel”…

2. An understanding of, or experience in AMV editing

Somebody who understands the process which goes into AMV creation could allow them to better appreciate a “good” submission or identify a “bad” one. The candidate might also be able to use their knowledge to help suggest simple improvements for a submission.
    Perhaps total ignorance however would be preferred? You don’t have to know how to paint to appreciate the Mona Lisa, right? It might even help you appreciate it better.

3. A sense of humour

Yes, comedy is subjective blah blah blah. The tricky thing here would be to either suggest a candidate with a broad taste in comedy, or perhaps two or more candidates with directly opposing tastes (for greater variety).

4. An eye for quality

Do we want a judge who accepts a submission because it utilises whatever flavour-of-the-month cartoon is currently airing? Or a judge who can identify a well-made AMV that’ll be entertaining even after multiple re-watches?
    Should the judge be forgiving of sub-par editing as long as the joke works? Or should they demand nothing short of perfection?

What kind of person would make a good judge for AMV Hell? Should there be a test to gauge their suitability? What kind?

If I were to nominate any currently-active forum-member(s) for the judging panel, even if the positions were only temporary- my vote would go to:

LawRayLiet. Currently serving as a moderator at the time of typing- s/he is very much involved with AMV Hell already and has a good knowledge of the series.
    His/her contributions to past AMV Hells have also displayed a good sense of humour and level of skill in AMV creation. I can see him/her acting well as a judge.

milleniummaster18. While lacking the AMV editing experience someone like Zarxrax and Law may have, Mill has nonetheless displayed a certain eye for quality during the recent AMV Minis challenges- an “eye” that I have happened to agree with on many occasions, there’s no denying.
    I can imagine Mill easily being able to recognise a “good” AMV submission, but more importantly- be able to correctly identify a “bad” one.

Provide reasons for your nominations.
    1. READ THE CREDITS. This idea has already been done. Be original.
    2. Congratulations, you can splice together footage of Chinese cartoons to ill-fitting music. Try adding a joke to your next clip, please.
    3. Stop quoting entire posts and or stop double-posting.
    4. Don't fade-out. It telegraphs the transition frame.
    5. Watch out for black-screen at the start/end. It looks amateur.
    6. You need to use better sources/ different render settings.

you know it would be easyer if you simply typed "make me judge" instead of making this fiasko

"Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

ACTUAL NOMINEES

Haar Contributor for AMV Hell and former troublemaker for reasons I happen to agree with: bloody standards are too lenient. Before the challenge format was announced, a bunch of people were in agreement of putting him up as a judge. I don't see why we should deny him the opportunity. He showed himself competent at video making, he's likely to do just as well with judging.

PEOPLE WHO I MIGHT CONSIDER DEPENDING ON FEEDBACK

SilentChaz He's been one of the guys who has provided the most constructive feedback throughout the run of Minis Challenge. Granted, there have been some places in which I either don't agree with him or believe he might've been too strict, but such is life. If people want him as a judge, he'll have my support as well.

Sir Fluffykins As much as I hate the **** out of Fluffy, it's important for the judges to have a foil in regard to opinions. I think Fluffs is simple-minded enough to represent the "average audience" side of the judges, the side that doesn't look too much for audiovisual consistency, but for whether the thing actually tickles his funny bone. Granted, I might actually regret this soon enough, especially if he shows he can't express himself properly or shows undue favoritism towards the use of fetishistic, objectifying material. My potential nomination of him is a card that shall only be played if there's another nominee who can properly balance him.

(This list is perfunctory and likely to change over time.)

I'd nominate Haar, Akyho and Chaz hands down.
    Haar and Chaz especially for their skill in crafting clips and their sense of humor, Akyho for his broad flavor of comedy. I really think he can bring a fresh perspective to this whole ordeal.
    I'd nominate Loli as well for aforementioned reasons if he was a bit more active.
    Last edited by Shuiia; 02-10-2015 at 12:14 AM.

*BLEEP*, in the country of *BLEEP*, famous land of *BLEEP* and *BLEEP*

As Mill mentioned, I thought that Haar taking up the position of judge was practically already almost set in stone. As for my nomination, I really dig the whole "good judge/bad judge" approach, since it could give a bit more variety to challenges than limiting the content to what simply pushes the Elite's buttons... If I had to pick a few names, I'd say Chaz/Mill (although preferably not both of you together. I get the feeling you're a bit too much on the same wavelength to make proper judgements...). Akyho, Fluffs (maaaaaybe...) and Urahara (the latter of whom, although somewhat less experienced than some of the others, I believe has a pretty good approach, and given a little time would make some sound judgements in my opinion...) also come to mind, although I'm a bit less convinced by them...
    Last edited by Distict5-9; 02-10-2015 at 12:29 AM.

tough call... my vote would go to either haar or millenium.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
    <MADEVIL> maybe you can steal the panties from the hobos

All the judges are dead... I AM THE JUDGE!

You guys assume there will be another amv hell project. Cute.

Better be safe than sorry. Wouldn't want to get blindsided now, would we?

Something tells me Minis could use this info as well *wink wink*

Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    You guys assume there will be another amv hell project. Cute.
    Implying the community cant overthrow you as a coordinator... So kawaii

We have to get to 9 at least, for completion's sake.
    Even if we do it ourselves.

dont leave us

I'd be down for nominating Chaz and Haar.

Quote Originally Posted by PudPuller View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by PudPuller View Post
    nope

"Be happy"are the words you say, there is no one stronger, no one can replace you.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMesh View Post
    We have to get to 9 at least, for completion's sake.
    why 9, specifically? What exactly makes 9 the "complete" number?

Then we have done all the numbers.
    0-9
    Completion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast