Thread: n00b question on video splitting

Default n00b question on video splitting

I've got an issue that is bothering me and can't seem to find an answer even after searching. I'm using Vegas to put together the vid but the source material (an avi. That I made using the guides here) is 6 hours long. This makes the timeline unusable as any 2 second clip disappears into a thin line. Trying to grasp said line inevitably results in changing the start/finish time of the clip. In addition, the line looks like never other line so I can't tell my clips apart. I've tried simply zooming in but that makes it difficult to work with the 6 hour line.

I'm sure I'm not the first person this ever happened to, so what are my best options? Do I somehow save the original video into 25 minute segments? Am I missing a simple command to see things better? Do I just deal with zooming in and out a lot? Or is there an option I've completely missed?

Thanks for your time!

Question: do you even need the entirety of this 6-hour source video you're using? I always find it FAR easier to trim a source in my conversion program if I only need specific parts of it.

If I'm making a 10 second minis clip, chances are pretty damn high I don't need 25 minutes of footage. I'll trim it to the 1-2 minutes of footage containing the specific scene I want, then trim it further in the video editor into the finished 10 second product.

What the hell kind of a video are you even using that's 6 freakin' hours long, anyway? O_o

I bought a DVD that I thought was legit but turned out to be a bootleg. It had the entire season as one .vob file. So no, I don't need or want the whole thing, but unfortunately that's what I got.

Chop it up, then.

Quote Originally Posted by kenwith17ns View Post
    I've got an issue that is bothering me and can't seem to find an answer even after searching. I'm using Vegas to put together the vid but the source material (an avi. That I made using the guides here) is 6 hours long. This makes the timeline unusable as any 2 second clip disappears into a thin line. Trying to grasp said line inevitably results in changing the start/finish time of the clip. In addition, the line looks like never other line so I can't tell my clips apart. I've tried simply zooming in but that makes it difficult to work with the 6 hour line.

I'm sure I'm not the first person this ever happened to, so what are my best options? Do I somehow save the original video into 25 minute segments? Am I missing a simple command to see things better? Do I just deal with zooming in and out a lot? Or is there an option I've completely missed?

Thanks for your time!
    You shouldn't be dropping the 6 hour long source into the timeline.
    You're supposed to drop it into the trimmer and then just cut out what you want to use and drop that into the timeline, which will just be a 2 minute timeline at that point.
    Other then that, I can usually move things around fairly easily by just zooming in a bit. Another option for moving a small clip around in a large timeline is to simply cut and paste it into wherever in the timeline you want it to be.
    AMV Hellspawn
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

The trimmer is what I'm missing. As I said, I'm a n00b and not sure what the best thing to use to trim it down. Is there a trimmer in Vegas I'm missing or is there a standalone piece of software?

The trimmer is what I'm missing. As I said, I'm a n00b and not sure what the best thing to use to trim it down. Is there a trimmer in Vegas I'm missing or is there a standalone piece of software?
    I usually use a trimmer outside of Vegas, but Vegas does have it's own trimmer. Never used it myself so I can't really say how effective it is, let alone how to use whatever efficiency it may or may not have.

I think I just found my answer. I started using "trim" as the search key instead of "cut" and got better results.

Thanks for the trim!

Is VirtualDub supposed to take over an hour to trim a 25 minute episode? I used to think my computer was fast.

Yes, there is a trimmer in Vegas. If it's not already, you can enable it from under the "View" menu.
    AMV Hellspawn

Is VirtualDub supposed to take over an hour to trim a 25 minute episode? I used to think my computer was fast.
    Video trimming/converting/editing/etc tends to take up a LOT of resources. Even a fast computer can take awhile with rendering, for example, if it didn't cost you $5,000 when you bought it 2 months ago. (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.) That being said, sometimes programs take up more resources than they actually need.

I don't know much about the technical details behind VirtualDub, nor have I heard a lot about that, so I can't really say if VirtualDub is partially to blame or if it's 100% the computer. In either case, having a faster computer is always more beneficial (ignoring everything else, of course.....like the finances of buying said computer.....)

You guys/gals/bots are great! Thanks for the replys!

Now think to yourself newbie.
    Was it really necessary for you to create an entire thread for this simple question that could well have been asked in one of the video help threads?

As long as there isn't already a thread on the topic, starting a new thread is better for organization sake.
    If someone has a question on a similar topic, they can look through the forum thread titles. I doubt they'd search aimlessly through a 50+ page thread though, which it would become if contained to one.
    AMV Hellspawn

You shouldn't be dropping the 6 hour long source into the timeline.
    Last edited by acquisto; 05-24-2016 at 08:00 PM.