Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Video Quality for Dummies

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,599

    Default Video Quality for Dummies

    When editing video, you should strive to achieve the best video quality possible. That's because, believe it or not, some people actually don't like to see ugly videos.
    It's actually not that hard to make something that looks somewhat passable. But yet, many people fail to even achieve this much. Here are some basic guidelines to help you improve your videos.

    First of all, I recommend you read this guide hosted at animemusicvideos.org. It will teach you everything that you need to know about video. But, if you are too lazy to do that, follow on.

    The first thing that you need to consider, is the source that you are making your video from. You need to start with the best source possible. Garbage in, garbage out.
    DVDs or Blu-rays are generally the best you can get. So when possible, use them.

    If you choose to use DVDs, then you really need to IVTC the footage most of the time in order for it to look correct. You can learn how to IVTC by following the previously mentioned guide. If you don't IVTC, then your DVD footage will probably look pretty crappy. In that case, it might even be better using downloaded footage.

    I don't endorse using downloaded footage, but many people do use it, so I'll at least tell you how to make it look halfway decent.
    First of all, if you are going to download footage, at least download some that doesn't look like crap. DON'T rip video from a streaming site like youtube or crunchyroll or something. That is just fail on so many levels. When people do this, I just wanna kick them in the nuts.
    If you want downloaded footage, get it from torrents, preferably without subtitles. Look somewhere like nyaatorrents or even thepiratebay or something. If the anime is in mkv format, then it is usually (but not always) softsubbed. This means that the subtitles are stored in a separate stream, and are not physically embedded over the video. You can also look for raw anime. Raw just means that its the original japanese episode without any subtitles or anything.

    Next, DON'T compress your video to something lossy before you edit it. This is just dumb, and it doesn't achieve anything besides making your video look crappy. Lossy codecs/formats include: divx, xvid, x264, cinepak, indeo, wmv, mpeg, mpeg2, mp4.
    If you convert your video to something else before editing, then you should ONLY convert it to a LOSSLESSLY compressed AVI file. Again, the previously mentioned guide tell you how to do this.

    After that, learn what a freaking aspect ratio is. If something is supposed to be widescreen, then here's a clue: its not going to look correct if you squeeze it to 4:3. Edit your video at the correct aspect ratio for your source. The aspect ratio of AMV Minis is irrelevant to your decision.

    Don't randomly change aspects of your video like the framerate or resolution unless you know what you are doing. You are probably breaking it.

    If you use windows movie maker, you fail. Get Sony Vegas or something. Movie Maker forces it to the wrong framerate, doesn't let you export in good quality, doesn't even let you edit with frame-accuracy, and I'm going to stop myself right there because I could keep going for a while.

    When you finish editing your video, export it losslessly or uncompressed. Don't compress it with something crappy out of your editing software. Also don't let your software resize it or change the framerate. Try to export with settings as close to the original footage as possible.
    DON'T export it interlaced. If your original source was NOT interlaced, but its interlaced after you edited it, then you set something wrong in your editing software. Fix it and export it again.
    After you have exported it, you can compress it. You can use my zarx264gui tool to make it an mp4 [a guide for it is on the page where you submit videos]. If you prefer to submit your lossless video to me, I have no problems with that.

    If you have questions, ask below.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sewers of Japan
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    I don't endorse using downloaded footage, but many people do use it, so I'll at least tell you how to make it look halfway decent.
    First of all, if you are going to download footage, at least download some that doesn't look like crap. DON'T rip video from a streaming site like youtube or crunchyroll or something. That is just fail on so many levels. When people do this, I just wanna kick them in the nuts.
    If you want downloaded footage, get it from torrents, preferably without subtitles. Look somewhere like nyaatorrents or even thepiratebay or something.
    Awww. But I HATE torrents...(I really do. They piss me off.)

    EDIT: Plus, I don't have money to buy DVDs nor do I know how to rip one. (I tried before, but I didn't want to risk damaging it, so I stopped.)
    Last edited by animemental1; 01-01-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Will create AMVs for money.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Green & Pleasant Land
    Posts
    428

    Default

    A simple way to rip video is using the program Fraps (which can record your screen from any source with a single button-press, not just video files - it's popular for recording gaming footage, for instance), or alternatively DVDFab, which is also very straightforward to use and has a guide by Zarxrax & Ermac that I've linked to there.
    Last edited by kapparomeo; 12-22-2010 at 02:56 AM.
    There was a young clerk who disagreed sharply with one of Curzon's memoranda. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, "Round Objects". Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
    -Sir Alan Lascelles

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,599

    Default

    Fraps is a horrible way to rip video and it really should not be used. This is because it simply records the screen rather than accessing the ACTUAL video data.
    Think of it like, instead of copying an mp3 file and sending to to your friend, instead you use a microphone to record the audio coming out of your speakers. Somewhat similar concept.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    585

    Default

    I like using torrents the most, and I get all mine from demonoid.com. If anyone wants an invite code, I'd be glad to comply.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    845

    Default

    If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to get rid of interlacing during the ripping process in Hand Brake without diminishing the video quality, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've also noticed that sometimes the ripped footage is interlaced, sometimes not. I haven't the foggiest idea why, even after playing around with the settings. Thanks in advance.
    "A film as rich as a sauce bearnaise, as refreshing as a raspberry sorbet, and a lot less predictable than the damn food metaphors and adjectives all us critics will churn out to describe it."
    -David Ansen on "Ratatouille"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    FBI wonders too, Michigan
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animemental1 View Post
    Awww. But I HATE torrents...(I really do. They piss me off.)

    EDIT: Plus, I don't have money to buy DVDs nor do I know hor to rip one. (I tried before, but I didn't want to risk damaging it, so I stopped.)
    what you can do is buy the movie version of the anime like the gurren lagann, clannad, raxephon, etc cause that basicly wraps up the anime and keeps the footage you mostly want at a low price...I think that is why the release the movies...anime for a budget but now they also have those SAVE editions coming out where most anime collections are 30 bucks now
    righstuf.com has a lot of deals and where I get my anime from

    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM...Im the Kool-Aid Man

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doomimus View Post
    If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to get rid of interlacing during the ripping process in Hand Brake without diminishing the video quality, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've also noticed that sometimes the ripped footage is interlaced, sometimes not. I haven't the foggiest idea why, even after playing around with the settings. Thanks in advance.
    I found this page that talks about it: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine

    It mentions "hard telecine" and "soft telecine". Almost all anime except movies (like studio ghibli or something) uses "hard telecine". Movies typically use soft.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkzi View Post
    what you can do is buy the movie version of the anime like the gurren lagann, clannad, raxephon, etc cause that basicly wraps up the anime and keeps the footage you mostly want at a low price...I think that is why the release the movies...anime for a budget but now they also have those SAVE editions coming out where most anime collections are 30 bucks now
    righstuf.com has a lot of deals and where I get my anime from
    And don't forget Evangelion: Death & Rebirth!
    I can't believe how cheap anime is these days. A few years ago it wasn't uncommon to have to pay $100-$200 for a series. Heck, in the days of VHS I remember paying almost $300 for the evangelion tv series, and that was back when I was just a kid and had to save money for like an entire year to get that much.
    Nowadays you can get a whole legitimate anime dvd series for about the same price that people used to pay for bootleg anime dvds. It's a good time to be an anime fan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    FBI wonders too, Michigan
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    And don't forget Evangelion: Death & Rebirth!
    I can't believe how cheap anime is these days. A few years ago it wasn't uncommon to have to pay $100-$200 for a series. Heck, in the days of VHS I remember paying almost $300 for the evangelion tv series, and that was back when I was just a kid and had to save money for like an entire year to get that much.
    Nowadays you can get a whole legitimate anime dvd series for about the same price that people used to pay for bootleg anime dvds. It's a good time to be an anime fan
    yes but sadly some of the childhood shows are still OVERPRICED
    Zoids: 900 bucks http://www.amazon.com/ZOIDS-CHAOTIC-...048942&sr=8-10

    Air: 13 bucks http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/86801/4/0/0

    WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM...Im the Kool-Aid Man

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarxrax View Post
    I found this page that talks about it: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine

    It mentions "hard telecine" and "soft telecine". Almost all anime except movies (like studio ghibli or something) uses "hard telecine". Movies typically use soft.
    I'll be sure to check that out later. Thanks.
    "A film as rich as a sauce bearnaise, as refreshing as a raspberry sorbet, and a lot less predictable than the damn food metaphors and adjectives all us critics will churn out to describe it."
    -David Ansen on "Ratatouille"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sewers of Japan
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    What program would work best for removing subtitles from an .mkv file?
    Will create AMVs for money.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animemental1 View Post
    What program would work best for removing subtitles from an .mkv file?
    If it is an mkv file, then it probably uses "soft" subtitles which can be turned on and off. There is no need to "remove" with any program. You just turn them off.

    As for hard subtitles, the best way to "remove" them is to find a different version of the source that doesn't have them to begin with!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sewers of Japan
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Uggh...I tried to use uTorrent again, but it JUST WON'T SEED. DX

    Any advice?
    Will create AMVs for money.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    92

    Default Just curious about editing...

    I have to imagine a good chunk of people have gone ahead and used Windows Movie Maker. I looked into Sony Vegas and that software goes for around $200 and higher. I mean, I may be some unemployed jerkwad, but even if I did have some steady money I don't think I'd spend so much money on a software. I'm not trying to complain or anything, I'm just curious if maybe there's some kind of workaround of the problems using such a simple software as Windows Movie Maker would potentially cause or at least if there was a better free or cheaper software. This is my first time looking at something like this and I'm not so fast to catch on to these things otherwise either.

    Sorry for the probably already-answered comment.



    EDIT: Scratch that "200 or higher" thing, I don't know where I found that. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Last edited by Diddlemuffins; 10-29-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Just couldn't get my thoughts straight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •