N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I've had this samsung laptop for months now and i can't for the life of me figure how to activate the webcam on it.

I went to the list of drivers on samsung's site.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/NP-R530-JA02US

The problem here is, i have windows 7 and can't find the corresponding driver for it from this list. Because of this, am i to assume that i can't get the thing to work on that OS? If so, then that's B.S. Can anyone help me or would i need to change to XP just to use the damn thing? Thanks in advance.

AKALink
11-24-2011, 01:20 AM
I know this may sound retarded, but isn't it impossible to activate the webcam without software. I know that whenever I go onto skype the software built into my computer has to be started for it to work.

N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 01:33 AM
My editing program comes with a web cam program so if it was activated, it should have recognized it. I probably should make a new skype account to see if it would recognize it then though.

LOLWTFBBQ
11-24-2011, 01:49 AM
use skype, or FB, whatever you need, but you will need the software middleman to use it

N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 02:27 AM
^ Hmm?

Ruby150
11-24-2011, 02:36 AM
*Scratches his head* I had a Toshiba, that had a webcam... forget how I got that to work... grant it, I had Vista on that thing

Zetsubou-Chan
11-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I have a webcam on my netbook (Which I always use everyday) It's a Dell 2100 and it uses a pre-installed software to run the webcam, but these can't play most games, I might be getting a laptop soon

Ruby150
11-24-2011, 03:38 AM
I just know that when I get a new webcam I'm going to have to relearn how to use one

SplitReality
11-24-2011, 04:19 AM
For programs if it's properly installed it should show up in options somewhere in a dropdown box. I can never be arsed to find a dedicated program for webcams alone so if I ever need to take a picture with the webcam I just open it up in VLC and take a snapshot.

RBRat3
11-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Checked a few of their models which should use the same cam chipset cause manufacturers are cheap and they all dont have a win 7 driver available which leads me to believe win 7 had plug'n play support for that camera so no driver was necessary.

Fast way to check is load up paint (if the options there) and hit file and click on "From scanner or camera" and see if the cam comes up.

As for the cam chipset its a scb-0350m made by a company called MCNEX, As for a win 7 driver I have not found any (Besides fake driver sites) so its probably Plug'n Play :)

Ultimately check your device manager and see if theres unknown devices in the list or anything with a exclamation mark.

N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 04:27 AM
From scanner to camera was greyed out.

RBRat3
11-24-2011, 04:31 AM
From scanner to camera was greyed out.

Check the device manager, Ohh and did you actually try the XP driver for ****s and giggles? You might get lucky and it could be multi os.

LOLWTFBBQ
11-24-2011, 04:35 AM
try this: search "devices" in your start menu and click on "devices and printers" and see if it comes up there.

also you can search up "device manager" and look around in there

if all else fails (and this is a last resort) you could actualy try calling customer support.

since when did Samsung-the same company that made my pathetic phone- make computers anyway?

RBRat3
11-24-2011, 04:41 AM
try this: search "devices" in your start menu and click on "devices and printers" and see if it comes up there.

also you can search up "device manager" and look around in there

if all else fails (and this is a last resort) you could actualy try calling customer support.

since when did Samsung-the same company that made my pathetic phone- make computers anyway?

Lmao the LCD panel that has a brand name slapped on the bezel was most likely made by samsung or sharp :P also your ram chips are probably samsung under a manufacturers name like PNY, Cossair, Etc... Corporation = Co-Op effort

Samsung make component manufacturer put together...

As for the driver ima poke around with the files for XP

N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 04:45 AM
I tried the XP driver and it failed every time. The device isn't listed in any of those places LOLWTFBBQ.

SplitReality
11-24-2011, 04:49 AM
This may not help at all and is just a random suggestion from my half asleep mind at the moment. But have you tried hitting "Add Hardware" in the control panel to see if it catches it and tries to install it?

RBRat3
11-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Do you get any yellow exclamation marks on devices in device manager?
if you dont have any whack the search for hardware button (little magnifying glass over a PC) at the top to see if it finds something new installed.

Quick way to get there... Winkey+R and paste this devmgmt.msc then whack enter :P

LawRayLiet
11-24-2011, 07:26 AM
I tried the XP driver and it failed every time.

Make sure you are extracting the files to a folder on your computer.
There are possible scenarios where simply running them from the zip may cause problems.

I would try running the driver in comparability mode before executing the driver.

1. Right Click (The install application)

2. Select properties

3. Select the "Compatibility" tab

4. Check the "Run this program in compatability mode for:"

5. Select "Windows XP Service Pack 3" from the drop down list.

6. Click OK to confirm settings

Also, if it it's not already promoting you at the UAC then you need to run the driver as administrator.

1. Right Click(The install application)

2. Select "Run as Administrator"

Based on what I've read in this thread it's most certainly a driver issue.(unless the camera itself is broken)
If what I've said does not work and there's not a compatible driver for download on the manufacturers website, then it may be more trouble then it's worth to get it working.

In that case I recommend "this $5 webcam" (http://www.amazon.com/Webcam-Camera-Vision-Meeting-compatible/dp/B0015TJNEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322119365&sr=8-1) it's probably not a great camera but chances are it will be better than the one that came with your laptop.

N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Split - It didn't work - the computer never caught it.

RB - Tried and got nothing

Law - Tried it all and it refused to recognize it.

It's the damdest thing because the microphone on the cam seems to respond to skype but just not the camera itself. The computer just doesn't know it exist. Also, i have a couple of old usb webcams to use along with an HD camera. (Though i need to buy a replacement battery for it) I just wanted to have this at my disposal just in case.

XelaisPWN
11-24-2011, 04:38 PM
The microphone and the camera are two entirely different creatures.

I don't know how much good it'll do, but did you bug samsung support? I can't think of anything else you could do...

N.P.C.C.
11-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Seems i'm out of options then...I suppose i'll call them. I just hope english is the man or woman's first language this time. I hate customer support...Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help.

RBRat3
11-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Split - It didn't work - the computer never caught it.

RB - Tried and got nothing

Law - Tried it all and it refused to recognize it.

It's the damdest thing because the microphone on the cam seems to respond to skype but just not the camera itself. The computer just doesn't know it exist. Also, i have a couple of old usb webcams to use along with an HD camera. (Though i need to buy a replacement battery for it) I just wanted to have this at my disposal just in case.

Nothing? Meaning the box didnt come up?

Another way to get to it is right-clicking computer and clicking properties then clicking device manager in the list...

If a driver got installed it should be listed under imaging devices I do believe... or listed as unknown hardware if no driver is present.

I think I found a driver but it needs to be installed manually(not an installer) where the hardware needs to be present somewhere in device manager to install it from its property dialog box.

Looks like this...
http://i.imgur.com/u1AmT.png

LOLWTFBBQ
11-25-2011, 09:05 AM
could you post a link to the exact laptop that you bought? chances are people have been having the same problem as you.

there is also the chance that your camera was just DOA and it's the companies fault

RBRat3
11-25-2011, 09:21 AM
could you post a link to the exact laptop that you bought? chances are people have been having the same problem as you.

there is also the chance that your camera was just DOA and it's the companies fault

Im assuming its Plug n' Play for win 7... Samsung has all their models in the same series listed for no driver for the cam on win 7

Another stupid thing that might be going on is that he didnt install his lappy's chipset driver that installs a USB host controller where the cams hooked into as its connecting interface. In that instance it would be as if there was no camera at all not even in the device manager, But a missing driver or unknown hardware should be listed in device manager for the host controller (how it is setup on my netbook an almost all lappys).

Since all this **** is OEM crap Id install every driver setup in that win 7 list on samsungs support site since the host controller diver isnt always packaged with the chipset installer....

FOR GOD SAKES TELL ME YOU INSTALLED THIS!!!!!... If you didnt DO IT NOW GODAMNIT>>> THEN GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/oZ4VG.png

N.P.C.C.
11-25-2011, 04:52 PM

- The type of laptop it is in the link in the first post.

- I suppose it's possible it was DOA. This laptop was used and i wiped the profile of someone Else's data. Everything else worked fine though.

Im assuming its Plug n' Play for win 7... Samsung has all their models in the same series listed for no driver for the cam on win 7

Another stupid thing that might be going on is that he didnt install his lappy's chipset driver that installs a USB host controller where the cams hooked into as its connecting interface. In that instance it would be as if there was no camera at all not even in the device manager, But a missing driver or unknown hardware should be listed in device manager for the host controller (how it is setup on my netbook an almost all lappys).

Since all this **** is OEM crap Id install every driver setup in that win 7 list on samsungs support site since the host controller diver isnt always packaged with the chipset installer....

FOR GOD SAKES TELL ME YOU INSTALLED THIS!!!!!... If you didnt DO IT NOW GODAMNIT>>> THEN GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/oZ4VG.png

I installed it and didn't notice any real change.

RBRat3
11-25-2011, 06:43 PM
- The type of laptop it is in the link in the first post.

- I suppose it's possible it was DOA. This laptop was used and i wiped the profile of someone Else's data. Everything else worked fine though.

I installed it and didn't notice any real change.

... you installed it now or then?

N.P.C.C.
11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
I did it when you told me to.

LOLWTFBBQ
11-25-2011, 10:12 PM
just in case you wanna see the quality of how your webcam will look, this will is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bt7g387HD4

abyssion1337
11-26-2011, 03:00 AM
it's not working cause you don't have a web cam

N.P.C.C.
11-26-2011, 03:26 AM
>_> <_<

abyssion1337
11-26-2011, 07:26 AM
you're welcome

N.P.C.C.
11-26-2011, 07:31 AM
You would be technically right as it's called a "Live cam"