Doomimus
08-16-2009, 08:26 PM
What humor is was briefly mentioned in the AMV Minis Rules thread, so I thought we should elaborate on that here. Humor is certainly a broad subject. In the end, it's a matter of taste and interpretation, though we can certainly gain some insight into what makes something funny (or not funny).

What are your thoughts? What constitutes "funny"? What are some good examples? (As if you need to go far to find some. XD) Perhaps if we better understand this, we could get the creative juices flowing for future projects.

Here's a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
Pay attention to the section "Humour formulae."

kapparomeo
08-16-2009, 11:03 PM
In the context of an AMV Hell clip at least, in a fair proportion of cases the "funny bit" is already in the audio - look at the large number clips in 3 & 4 that are set to Weird Al Yankovic songs, for example. In those sorts of clips, where they're riffing off something that was already comedy, their appeal comes from finding animes that closely match the audio. It revives the old joke but presents it in a fresh way (and exaggerated through the animated style), so that the joke, while familiar, doesn't feel worn out.

As an aside, I haven't seen even a tenth of all the shows featured in the various AMV Hells, and seeing the sheer diversity of what's available - how anything can be found fit any audio - is always a delight.

luffyiscool
08-16-2009, 11:06 PM
In the context of an AMV Hell clip at least, in a fair proportion of cases the "funny bit" is already in the audio - look at the large number clips in 3 & 4 that are set to Weird Al Yankovic songs, for example. In those sorts of clips, where they're riffing off something that was already comedy, their appeal comes from finding animes that closely match the audio. It revives the old joke but presents it in a fresh way (and exaggerated through the animated style), so that the joke, while familiar, doesn't feel worn out.

As an aside, I haven't seen even a tenth of all the shows featured in the various AMV Hells, and seeing the sheer diversity of what's available - how anything can be found fit any audio - is always a delight.

this ^

Animegirlzzzzzzz
08-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Humor can also tell of pop cuture and society in a fresh and witty way by being surreal with a hint of truth.
You mind if I use an example not from AMV Hell?

Doomimus
08-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Humor can also tell of pop cuture and society in a fresh and witty way by being surreal with a hint of truth.
You mind if I use an example not from AMV Hell?

Well, of COURSE we mind!:mad:

Just kidding. :D Go right ahead.

Animegirlzzzzzzz
08-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Well, of COURSE we mind!:mad:

Just kidding. :D Go right ahead.
And now, to use the example you didn't expect!
Am I the only one on Earth that found Paranoia Agent incredibly hilarious?!
Well, with Satoshi Kon's extensive skill in social satire and the strange yet all too familier feeling of a fall of an era hinted at by a new fad that confounded the lives of all involved along with a criminal that fantasises about being in an RPG, Paranoia Agent is dark comedy at it's finest!
But, unfortunently, dark comedy isn't always inclined toward all tastes.
Yet, even so, it can be "show true", can't it?

Doomimus
08-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Looks like I'll be adding Paranoia Agent to my rental queue. ;)

Well spoken. I think the Azumanga/Airplane, Chobits/Mr. Bill, and Goldenboy/White and Nerdy clips were all very good examples of this (the latter in particular because of the attention to detail and fast pace). They did the right thing by not using the original audio as a crutch. When that happens, my eyes drift elsewhere as I just listen to the audio.

On the flip side, the original audio could be completely serious, but when juxtaposed with the right clip, can be hilarious. Prime example: DragonBall/I Will Always Love You clip. Not at all what you'd expect to come from a tough guy's mouth, yet it fits perfectly. XD

abyssion1337
08-17-2009, 04:30 AM
And now, to use the example you didn't expect!
Am I the only one on Earth that found Paranoia Agent incredibly hilarious?!
Well, with Satoshi Kon's extensive skill in social satire and the strange yet all too familier feeling of a fall of an era hinted at by a new fad that confounded the lives of all involved along with a criminal that fantasises about being in an RPG, Paranoia Agent is dark comedy at it's finest!
But, unfortunently, dark comedy isn't always inclined toward all tastes.
Yet, even so, it can be "show true", can't it?

so did you just see Paranoia agent? I mean I've seen everything Satoshi Kon has made at least three times but you seem to be taking a bit far, I mean I've certainly experienced better dark comedy, not to say Paranoia agent is bad it's fantastic and I love everything about it.

Also you sound like a wikipedia article, again you're not wrong just trying too hard.

and yeah it really was fantastic and I wouldn't mind discussing it with you

PaperFreak
08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Funny is getting hurt falling out of a car, except the car isn't moving.

Lights Out, God Help Me
08-18-2009, 07:12 AM
Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and ****ing die.