Doomimus
08-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Here we get to elaborate on our constructive critique on the second AMV Minis episode. A few things to keep in mind:

1) For each clip (excluding the ones you did if it applies), discuss what you liked or didn't like about it. Don't limit it to just "I didn't like it. It was lame and not funny," or "OMG This was the most awesome clip EVAR!" Constructive critique involves more than just dissing or praising someone's work.

2) Discuss why it wasn't funny and, more importantly, what you would've done differently (e.g. longer or shorter time, different choice of footage or audio, better lip-sync, etc.). If it's just a matter of personal taste, acknowledge that as well. That's what it boils down to in the end.

3) Discuss why it was funny! Maybe they're on to something and should keep it up! (e.g. element of surprise, timing, clever pop-culture reference, satire, etc.)

4) For those of you who submitted clips, you are encouraged to take this critique into account, as well as defend your choice of material.

Take it away!

kapparomeo
08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
You know, putting a third character into the "I am your father..." scene changes the dynamic of that dialogue entirely.

When we first saw that scene in the cinema all those years ago it was a twist, pulling the rug from under you and adding an edge to the fight with an emotional as well as a physical pain. By adding Ritsuko as an observer, though, it becomes less a sucker-punch shock and more a mark of grinding mechanistic oppression. It's like a dark rite of passage, revealing some horror which crushes the subject's youthful idealism and makes his star of honesty burn out, but is required to make him practical and useful for the task in hand. Ritsuko's level and studying look makes it seems as though as this is a sad, but necessary, routine that she's been through before. She could at once be offering silent sympathy - "Shush, shush, I know it hurts, but it's for the best" - or quietly evaluating him and judging him against the others that have come before - "Come on, boy, you're on the spot so let's see you perform".

Altogether, it makes the scene much more novel and engaging.

scarmullet
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Why thank you Kappa, I never thought of it that deeply.

kapparomeo
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Moving on to this episode's other NGE clip, then - I felt that Rebbie had chosen a scene and an audio that fitted together well, so that's all good, but I think that this one does highlight a couple of issues with lip-syncing that others were mentioning in the news thread.

The mouth-movements match the syllables in the dialogue well enough, it's just that the large size of Azuka's mouth means that it looks as though you're fast-forwarding through a yawn, and it's a little distracting - it may have been better to cut a few frames on the mouth movements, so a smaller mouth wouldn't have to move as fast. I also noticed a small jump just before she rolls over, but that's a minor thing.

Doomimus
08-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Actually, I think her not-so-subtle attempt at seducing this guy warrants the over-the-top mouth movements. It makes it all the more hilarious, in my opinion. And I stand by my earlier statement that we should learn from this. Better to be overly meticulous with lip sync than not meticulous enough.

Oh, did I mention I laughed my butt off after I saw this? XD It just goes to show that you don't need to know either source to get a good laugh out of it. This scene works beautifully on its own.

Let's go back to the beginning. With the exception of the Lucky Star clip, the snippets featured in the opening sequence were hard to make out. (Now I know where they were from upon closer inspection and after watching the whole episode.) The small screen size and "snow" effect are partly to blame for that, but as long as the clips are colorful and simple enough, they should show up fine as they did in the first episode.

acutekat
08-21-2009, 04:11 AM
the monty python bits were fantastic

Tazuto
08-21-2009, 04:28 AM
sugar cookies, genius

monty python parts were perfect

vader and luke, awesome

wheres the end, wasnt funny at all

Hockey-kun
08-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Hmm. Not getting alot of props for my Lucky Star clip =/. I guess I'll have to improve for the next ep D:

Doomimus
08-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I'll admit, the Lucky Star/Moskau clip didn't get much of a reaction from me the first time around. However, I like it more and more every time I see it. It's charming, the timing is great, and the song is a lot of fun. :D

Just one suggestion: The song and dance start rather suddenly. I'd include some starting beats so it's not as jarring.

Props, Hockey-kun!

Oh, and I thought I'd throw this in for good measure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8gtrD4_C4

kapparomeo
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I was already quite fond of the Moskau song - it has a genial, light-hearted quality - so it was quite a nice surprise to see it appear. It was such a surprise, in fact, that it made me jump a little when it came on the stereo! I agree with Doominus that it was timed well, and as you've chosen a topic that already has a web-presence there's some established fondness for it already (I could smile and say "hey, I know this..."). It struck a different tone to the other clips as it wasn't using something that was already explicitly humorous, and I enjoyed it.

greensucksbluerules
08-22-2009, 07:34 PM
sugar cookies, genius

monty python parts were perfect

vader and luke, awesome

wheres the end, wasnt funny at all

Protip: Make sure you know what was really being said before you criticize.

Absolute_Apocalypse
08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I did the Code Geass "Kill the Poor" clip... overall I'm pretty happy with it, although I like some of my new submissions a lot more.

I wish I hadn't decided to go for the "zoom in" near the end, it looks kinda bad. I also wish I'd put more space at the beginning, because the first line gets clipped which sort of ruined the point of having that line in the first place. What I really like about this video is how inappropriate Euphemia's facial expression is for the lines I dubbed her to. This is especially obvious at the very end when she's all teary eyed but laughing maniacally.

Hockey-kun
08-22-2009, 11:42 PM
After rewatching the ep, I think the star wars clip and the higurashi clip both needed better lip syncing. At first I thought it was my comp being weird, but now I see its ALL THE EDITORS FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone :P

Doomimus
08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
After rewatching the ep, I think the star wars clip and the higurashi clip both needed better lip syncing. At first I thought it was my comp being weird, but now I see its ALL THE EDITORS FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone :P

I'm with you on that one. The thing about the audio for both those clips is that the words are rather slow and deliberately spoken (or sung), so mistakes are much more obvious. In this case, the mouths move more than is necessary to utter these few words. This can be easily remedied by opening and closing the mouths only on each syllable, using still images and lengthening them if necessary.

On a more positive note, I think the concept and the general layout of the shots for the Eva/Star Wars clip was brilliant. Shinji wincing at the end really clinched it for me. The same goes for the maniacal laughter during the "I can't help myself" line in the Higurashi clip. And as far as lip-sync goes, the first few shots of Eva/Star Wars and the first shot of Higurashi/Crazy worked just fine.

Also, thanks, guys. I glad you liked my Monty Python clips. :D

scarmullet
08-23-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm with you on that one. The thing about the audio for both those clips is that the words are rather slow and deliberately spoken (or sung), so mistakes are much more obvious. In this case, the mouths move more than is necessary to utter these few words. This can be easily remedied by opening and closing the mouths only on each syllable, using still images and lengthening them if necessary.

On a more positive note, I think the concept and the general layout of the shots for the Eva/Star Wars clip was brilliant. Shinji wincing at the end really clinched it for me. The same goes for the maniacal laughter during the "I can't help myself" line in the Higurashi clip. And as far as lip-sync goes, the first few shots of Eva/Star Wars and the first shot of Higurashi/Crazy worked just fine.

Would you believe that Zarxrax didn't like the ending to my Clip there?

Lights Out, God Help Me
08-23-2009, 04:36 AM
The pokemon clip came out of nowhere and made me bust up laughing, and so did the Cannibal Corpse. Corpse & Azumanga Dioh? GENIUS.

Doomimus
08-23-2009, 05:03 AM
The pokemon clip came out of nowhere and made me bust up laughing, and so did the Cannibal Corpse. Corpse & Azumanga Dioh? GENIUS.

Let them taste the wrath as the agony consumes them!
Swallowed by the darkest light a blackened state of dismay!
Survival is the only thing left for them!

XD Oh, lordy, was that fun to make.

Raster88
08-23-2009, 05:43 AM

O.o that's one way to put it :sweatdrop:

but yea, the Cannibal Corpse bit was hilarious, it fit really well. and im glad everyone's liking my Pokemon/I'm on a Boat clip

Overall, this episode was great. let's keep it up :D

Lights Out, God Help Me
08-23-2009, 07:27 AM
im glad everyone's liking my Pokemon/I'm on a Boat clip

That's because it's ****ing amazing.

I saw the credits listed before I watched the episode, and I swear the first words out of my mouth were "Jesus christ, Doomimus."

Only could've been funnier if it was done to "I Cum Blood."

NodMan
08-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Very good all around, good yab guys.

greensucksbluerules
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
That's because it's ****ing amazing.

I saw the credits listed before I watched the episode, and I swear the first words out of my mouth were "Jesus christ, Doomimus."

Only could've been funnier if it was done to "I Cum Blood."

I don't think that would have been accepted.

It was in AMV Hell 0, though.

Doomimus
08-23-2009, 02:11 PM

I think "Make Them Suffer" actually sounds funnier because of its faster pace, anyway.

Whatever makes Yomi bellow like a chain-smoking howler monkey. XD

kapparomeo
08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Wait... you mean that there's actually lyrics in that death metal clip? It's not just random noise?

The mind boggles. :eek:

Lights Out, God Help Me
08-24-2009, 03:41 AM

Is there some kind of lyrical content that can't be used? I thought it was just for visuals.

Doomimus
08-24-2009, 04:27 AM
Is there some kind of lyrical content that can't be used? I thought it was just for visuals.

Yeah, rules apply to audio as well, even if you can't understand a word of it. XD

Hockey-kun
08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.6lyrics.com/music/cannibal_corpse/lyrics/i_cum_blood.aspx

kapparomeo
08-30-2009, 12:17 AM
One clip that did stand out in this episode was the George Carlin stand up - I don't recall anything quite so... aggressive and frankly nasty in the whole AMV Hell series. It's a little unsettling, really.

As a practising Christian I can't say that I agree with Carlin, but even if I wasn't religious I wouldn't leap to his defence - he sounds like an overgrown tot having a tantrum because mum's told him to keep away from the cookie jar. Nonetheless, linking the audio to Haruhi was very apporpriate, because if there's any petty, spiteful, cruel and callous goddess to make the whole Greek pantheon look saintly in comparison, Haruhi is it!

Doomimus
08-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I think you're right on the money, kappa. While I myself wasn't quite as shocked (I'm rather used to George Carlin's rants), I do agree with you that the audio couldn't have suited Haruhi better.

Even so, I think it could have been a stronger clip. For example, I think Carlin's description of Hell as a place where you'll "choke and scream and cry" warranted scenes of poor Miruku suffering at the hands of the "cruel and callous goddess" as well as the scenes of chaos and Yuko being impaled. Additionally, the punchline need more... well, punch, I think. I know it would be hard to hard, but if the last shot featured an even more seemingly loving and gentle Haruhi, I think it would have made her bi-polar nature that much stronger and even more hilarious.

Doomimus
09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Pardon me while I jump out of order here.

Elfen Lied/Batman Beyond
I gotta be blunt here: I did not like this one at all. I didn't want to say anything at first because I thought I should give the source material a chance (and I did, finally), because, hey, I like dark humor as much as the next guy. Unfortunately, this clip is only halfway there: It's got the "dark" part down pat, but I fail to see the humor in it. For starters, the line from Batman Beyond isn't funny. It's just depressing, and the line isn't much of a stretch from what Bandoh would actually say. Now, if he were remorseful and apologetic (or even completely clueless) for the damage he inflicted on the poor girl instead of calling her a "stupid bitch," I could at least appreciate the irony of him saying something so heartless. But there is no irony. Without it, it's not dark humor. It's just depressing and cruel.

There. I said it. Moving on....

scarmullet
09-20-2009, 04:26 PM
One clip that did stand out in this episode was the George Carlin stand up - I don't recall anything quite so... aggressive and frankly nasty in the whole AMV Hell series. It's a little unsettling, really.

As a practising Christian I can't say that I agree with Carlin, but even if I wasn't religious I wouldn't leap to his defence - he sounds like an overgrown tot having a tantrum because mum's told him to keep away from the cookie jar. Nonetheless, linking the audio to Haruhi was very apporpriate, because if there's any petty, spiteful, cruel and callous goddess to make the whole Greek pantheon look saintly in comparison, Haruhi is it!

Carlin did make a valid point though.

Lights Out, God Help Me
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Pardon me while I jump out of order here.

Elfen Lied/Batman Beyond
I gotta be blunt here: I did not like this one at all. I didn't want to say anything at first because I thought I should give the source material a chance (and I did, finally), because, hey, I like dark humor as much as the next guy. Unfortunately, this clip is only halfway there: It's got the "dark" part down pat, but I fail to see the humor in it. For starters, the line from Batman Beyond isn't funny. It's just depressing, and the line isn't much of a stretch from what Bandoh would actually say. Now, if he were remorseful and apologetic (or even completely clueless) for the damage he inflicted on the poor girl instead of calling her a "stupid bitch," I could at least appreciate the irony of him saying something so heartless. But there is no irony. Without it, it's not dark humor. It's just depressing and cruel.

There. I said it. Moving on....

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why I thought it was hilarious.

Doomimus
09-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Which part are you referring to exactly?

amb4manga
01-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Same as episode 1. Here I go!

Episode 2:

Azumanga Daioh / Monty Python: This is very interesting. I barely laugh at the clip so badly, but I enjoy it as well.

Evangelion / Futurama: The last part is almost funny when nearly showing her breast, but it didn't happen. Still, I like it completely.

Azumanga Daioh / Monty Python (Second one): Like the first clip, I laugh again when saying "Wow!" (sound like it correctly). I like both Monty Python clips, and I give them both a credit.

Hell Girl / Dirty Deeds: I know the song, but not the anime. However, this clip is actually great as a dramatic part.

Evangelion / SW ESB: This clip is excellent, and I would say that this is the best sound clip choice ever. "I am the father!"

Azumanga Daioh / Make Them Suffer: I laugh very, very hard of this clip. I don't know what this song is thinking. Again, I like this clip a lot.

Higurashi / She Drives Me Crazy: This clip looks great as either comedy or drama. However, it barely works as the song matches this clip.

Azumanga Daioh / Me, Myself, and Irene: Well, this is the last Azumang Daioh part. However, this clip is actually funny when it comes to "Football with a bag of nuts". Anyway, excellent job!

Ideon / SpongeBob SquarePants: Again, I laugh so hard of this clip. What's with the SpongeBob clip at the last part? Still, this clip is excellent.

Lucky Star / Moskau: This is a fun clip, I would say. There are some hit or miss of timing going on, but this one is deserve it.

Pokemon / I'm on a Boat: I miss the old Pokemon days. This clip, for me, is actually great. Thank gosh to censor the F-word when I laugh of it.