Doomimus
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Constructive, thorough critique for each clip. What are each clip's strong points? What are their weak points? How can they be improved? Is the idea of the clip worth salvaging?

You know the drill. Take it away!

You may critique your own clips in here as well. You may want to take into account other's critiques before you do so.

UTF
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Creator: scarmullet
Audio: The A-Team Opening Theme

I guess the thing that bothered me most was it showed Chiyo getting out of the costume but paired her with Hannibal rather than Faceman. Clips could have benefitted from having the frame blend turned off.

Audio: Drawn Together sound clip

I didn't think the intro to the clip was needed, only the audio from the show.

Creator: Doomimus & Robert Frazer
Audio: Heaven 17 - Temptation

I think the punchline might have had a bit more punch had it ended on Kimura in the costume.

Audio: Beavis and Butthead sound clip

A funnier Osaka face could have sold it. As it was, nothing that special.

Creator: Robert Frazer
Audio: Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann sound clip

There's really no connection at all. Yeah they're giving a rousing speech, but the speech is so specific to the other show, it doesn't fit in with the setup. Also, it's a big peeve of mine when someone casts a voice to one character, but then the same character ends up using another voice, or the voice gets used with more than one character. Better to stick with one voice to one character. Also in retrospect, the speech from the final episode might have been more fitting because it ends in 'Who the hell do you think WE are', rather than 'Who the hell do you think I am', and also mentions triumphing over adversity.

Creator: Doomimus
Audio: Gloria Estefan - Go Away

Nothing bad that I can think of. Very nicely done. Might also make a good full video.

Audio: Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! commercial

I get the connection, but without the benefit of subtitles or playing the game, I don't think many others will. The punchline is funny though.

Audio: The Divinyls - I Touch Myself
Audio: "Weird Al" Yankovic - Do I Creep You Out?

Good overall pairing with a funny punchline. Some of the footage has some noise along edges, but it's a minor complaint.

Audio: When Harry Met Sally sound clip

Very good connection. But once again, the blurred visuals detract. Nothing that makes it unwatchable though.

Audio: The Allman Brothers Band - Jessica (Top Gear theme)

I get the connection but it's not funny to me. Maybe it's because I don't watch Top Gear regularly so I didn't recognize the intro until the title came up.

Audio: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring sound clip

Short and sweet. Nothing to complain about.

Audio: Matt and Mike Chapman - Teen Girl Squad 7

The 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAH' does it for me and also 'He died... somehow.'

Audio: Team America - I'm So Ronery

I like it. It might have been able to end on the long 'SERIOUSRYYYYYYYYY' but it's fine as is.

So in summation, ok, not great. The Doomimus ones were, for the most part, head and shoulders above the rest. Unfortunately, I had already previously seen them in Azu-Madness.

I still hope to see more singular themed minis in the future though.

Tazuto
03-17-2010, 02:19 AM
i only have one thing to say for one of the clips(since all the others were awesome)

he could have used the guy sung version of I Touch Myself when that dude appeared, it woudl have been WAY more funny! xD

btw dibs, my idea! STAY BACK! *runs off with it to his lair*

Shirker
03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
I dunno if it was just because I'm sleep deprived or if it grew on me, but the 2nd viewing of this minis was much funnier than the first. Anyway, here's my critique.

"The 'A' Team" - Clever and funny idea. I didn't like the ending though. I thought a better scene could've gone with the finality of the song. The transitioning of the music was also a bit akward. All and all though, this one of the ones I liked the first time viewing.

"Big Ball'd Squirrel" - I'm not sure what I didn't like about this the first time, cuz now I'm lmao. I understand why the show's audio was put in at the start (clarity's sake), but I agree with UTF the it could've just been ommited.

"Temptation" - I thought memes were banned from the world of AMV Hell. While it was just chuckle worthy, I did like the lip synching and scene matching. My own sense of humor is at fault on this one; I didn't find it too funny, but there's really nothing wrong with it. Plus it's pretty cute.

"I will take this land!" - An Osaka with the pupil-less eyes would've worked better. With her just standing there, it seems more like the whole "taking a funny quote and just throwing it onto a scene" thing which I thought was forbidden.

"The 3 Knuckleheads" - I think this would've worked better with just the TTGL audio, Azumanga watchers know what these girls' alliance is in that episode. Just seems kinda tacked on.

"Go Away" - I didn't get this one bit. I really like it though because of the awesome synching in it. I'd like to see a full AMV of this at some point

"Osu" - Another one I simply did not get. I wouldn't have like it at all if it weren't for the ending. I think that could've been a clip all by itself.

"I touch myself/Do I creep you out" - I've got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand I thought the switching between music and episode audio made it akward. But on the other hand, I realize the joke just calls for it. Plus the whole waking-up-from-a-nightmare angle was a nice touch. The lip synching on the "I touch myself" part, while good, felt a bit unnecessary. That's just a nitpick though.

"When Harrry met Yukari" - Highlight of the episode.

"AzuGear" - This is another joke I got better the 2nd time around. I get it now, but I still didn't think it was too funny, having not really seen the show or intro to it. The editing was superb, however.

"You Shall Not Pass" - Well done. I personally think it would've went better with a grade pun, but that's just me. The scene and audio fit perfectly and I got a good laugh out of it.

"Sakaki made a swear!" - There wasn't a single time audio from this source was used and I didn't think it was funny. This clip was no exception

"Chiyo's ronwry" - Had I not heard this audio before, I would've thought it was kind of depressing, but seeing as how I'm well aquainted with it and think it's hilarious, as well as the scenes being well placed and the video itself being well edited (which made it more hilarious), I give this clip a thumbs up!

Overall, I'd say the episode itself is similar to Minis 1 and 3: Many of the clips aren't hysterical but the originality of them makes up for it and gives it that ol' AMV Hell feel.

Doomimus
03-17-2010, 01:58 PM
i only have one thing to say for one of the clips(since all the others were awesome)

he could have used the guy sung version of I Touch Myself when that dude appeared, it woudl have been WAY more funny! xD

btw dibs, my idea! STAY BACK! *runs off with it to his lair*

Oh, sweet Jesus, you're right. XD *repeatedly slams head against the wall*

abyssion1337
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
actually when I say that clip that's exactly what I expected to happen, but don't despair, I'm so infrequently surprised by anything that I thought it was nice

Tazuto
03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh, sweet Jesus, you're right. XD *repeatedly slams head against the wall*i already know what scenes to use to lol xD take that!

scarmullet
03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I guess the thing that bothered me most was it showed Chiyo getting out of the costume but paired her with Hannibal rather than Faceman. Clips could have benefitted from having the frame blend turned off.

Hannibal (thier leader) was allways in complete costume when they got thier missions (since they are criminals), Faceman was only in disguse during the missions.

Doomimus
03-29-2010, 06:56 PM
If I may offer a quick little critique here....

Now that I've seen how the clips fit together, I would have trimmed my "Ronery" clip after "Seriousryyyyyyy." Additionally, I would've had it switch places with the "When Harry Met Sally" clip. I thought that was the best one of the lot, and find it only appropriate to save it for last. Just the fact that kappa was able to reduce the conversation (a semi-coherent one, but a conversation nonetheless) between Yukari and Nyamo to this was brilliant. (And if I know Yukari, I'd say she's not faking it. XD)

JinVicious
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
I was gone for a couple months due to no internet, could someone gimmie a link to this video so I can watch it?

Doomimus
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I was gone for a couple months due to no internet, could someone gimmie a link to this video so I can watch it?

http://amvhell.com/showthread.php?t=2197

JinVicious
03-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks Doomy.

That was good, probably the best Mini so far.

Good work guys, pure win!