jinzo64
07-09-2013, 11:58 PM
For a While now I've been working on my own manga tweaking concepts for the overall story arc.

but whats realy stumped out side if making each character look unique and constantly the same panel to panel is naming them.

are there rules for naming characters.
can i call my character Zaraki or toshiro or maylene or Gardenia as long as there appearence and personality and abbilities are different you know different character same name.

Can you copy right names I mean I can think of 3 Yui's and 3 Sakura's

Are there or can I call my characters anything I want?

UTF
07-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Do what Toriyama always did and name them after food.

Backmask
07-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Don't tell me you'll be naming characters as if they were in a manga. Anyway, Character names cannot be copyrighted. However, some names can be trademarked, such as Harry Potter, seeing as it is also the name of the book series. It's a touchy and complicated scenario. You can call your characters Zaraki and Sakura, but naming them Zaraki Kenpachi and Sakura Matou is something that you should avoid. Altough, you could have a Zaraki Matou and a Sakura Kenpachi. All-in-all avoid naming characters after big-name stuff I.E. no Harry Potter, no Tootsie Roll, no Made in Heaven.
There is some stuff that adds to the complication, such as Lovecraft stuff.

Ultima
07-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Name all of them ultima because I am SO relevant : p
But seriously I don't know but best of luck on that manga.

ThatsNotMyName_studio
07-10-2013, 01:30 AM
I thought only the mascot was named after food ala Botan, Potato, Piro, Menchi, et al.

jinzo64
07-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Don't tell me you'll be naming characters as if they were in a manga.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

Anyway, Character names cannot be copyrighted. However, some names can be trademarked, such as Harry Potter, seeing as it is also the name of the book series. It's a touchy and complicated scenario. You can call your characters Zaraki and Sakura,
but naming them Zaraki Kenpachi and Sakura Matou is something that you should avoid.
I'd figure that calling my characters the exact same names as excisting characters was a no go area just wasn't sure if using there first names would okay or not.

Altough, you could have a Zaraki Matou and a Sakura Kenpachi.
thats pretty cool.

All-in-all avoid naming characters after big-name stuff I.E. no Harry Potter, no Tootsie Roll, no Made in Heaven.
There is some stuff that adds to the complication, such as Lovecraft stuff.
I thought a tootsie roll was a kind of foos so is it a brand like pepsi?
wel since my manga is based around heaven I'll have to be careful not to use the phrase made in heaven

Thanks for the advice.

Luppi-tan
07-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I... Don't really think name is an issue. Just name your character whatever you want. As long as the character is distinctly yours, even if it has the same name. There's literally no possible way that there wouldn't be cases of the same name coming up more than once, considering the sheer amount of manga in existence and the number of characters.

jinzo64
07-25-2013, 09:24 PM
I... Don't really think name is an issue. Just name your character whatever you want. As long as the character is distinctly yours, even if it has the same name. There's literally no possible way that there wouldn't be cases of the same name coming up more than once, considering the sheer amount of manga in existence and the number of characters.

I suppose thats true.

I guess it would explain the yuis from K-on and Angel Beats both being guitarists.