urahara1001
10-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Discussion in the chatbox earlier today got me curious; what sort of computers does everyone use? Not necessarily just for editing (though that too), but just general info; brands, specs, laptop or desktop, operating system, that sort of thing. What have you used in the past or done something special with?

I learned on an 8086 as soon as I was tall enough to reach the keyboard (and I was a tall child). I was the only kid in grade school that carried around a massive DOS manual to read when I finished my class work. In fourth grade, I was just playing around on the school library's computers and changed the command prompts to different sayings for fun. Apparently, the librarian freaked out afterward and had no idea how to change it back. Next year we had rules to sign off on in the handbooks regarding the acceptable usage policy before we were allowed to use the school's computers. Oddly enough, no one ever questioned me on it, even though I gave off very obvious signs of my computer affinity.

Now adays I'm running on an HP Pavillion laptop, 4 GB RAM, 3.2 GHZ dual core, 220 GB hard drive. As a day-to-day work unit, it's holding up quite well, but for gaming it has been showing its age quite a bit. Just got to make it hold out a bit longer until I can get my gaming rig.

Thetruecrow
10-02-2014, 06:15 AM
I grew up with consoles, not PCs, a shame but I look past it when I think into the past.

In high school, my teacher gave me one of the school's old PCs, a P2 system that didn't work haha, but it was fun to rebuild it over and over again and by the time my mother gave me a PC, I knew a lot already about how internal components worked together so maintenance on it was pretty easy.
My first real PC was the one my mother gave me, a P4 system with 3GB of ram(super fancy) and an AMD radeon graphics card. I ran that ****er into the ground using good ol' Windows XP and World of Warcraft, running 3 clients at a time on private servers.

After that I got an AMD dual core which was **** and I hated every minute of using it because it couldn't multitask for ****, still have the exact same PC in my room right now as a door stopper.

Currently I am running an i5-3570K at stock with a stock cooler, 16GB of ram, a GTX 670 2GB, 2x120GB SSDs, a 1TB HDD, and a 500GB HDD all off a 450W PSU.

Underneath my bed is the H100 I usually use to run my i5 at 4.5-4.8GHz, an R9 290, and a 750W modular PSU.

Brands are Intel, Corsair, Sapphire, nVidia, Asus, Kingston and that's pretty much it.

Arock
10-02-2014, 06:37 AM
I kinda grew up on computers but never really knew how to mess with them until a few years ago. Up until almost a year ago I had been using an old HP pavilion DV7 laptop, and that has really started to show its age, was almost to much for it to play some newer games on low graphics. I still use it every now and again, mostly for whenever I'm housesitting or something and then I just use it for random browsing and watching anime and ****.

Last year I decided to empty out my pockets and upgrade, and I am very glad i did. Had a blast custom building my own computer (with help from Mad in picking out parts) and I am very pleased with its performance. I can run most games at ultra graphics with no problems.

Specs:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Intel Core i5 4670k running at 3.4 ghz
Noctua NH-D14 air cooler
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 Memory
Corsair HX850 power supply
Seagate 240GB SSD for boot drive
Western Digital 1TB HHD
NZXT Phantom Case
Asus 23.6" monitor x2

!Je$u$!
10-02-2014, 07:34 AM
This is my current rig:

CPU: Intel I5 2500K @ 4.5GHZ 1.3V
CPU COOLER: Thermaltake Contac 29 BP
GFX CARD: SLI MSI N560GTX TI TF II OC Edition @ 950MHZ 1.025V
RAM: G Skill Ripjaws X 1600mhz 2GBx4 1.5V
MOBO: MSI P67A GD80 (B3)
CASE: Corsair Carbide 400R
PSU: Cougar CM 1000W @ 80A
SOUND: Logitech X-530 5.1 + Logitech G35 Headset
DISPLAY: Sony Bravia CX52 32" 1920X1080@60Hz
SSD: Corsair Force LS 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 3TB
MOUSE: Logitech G5
KEYBOARD: Logitech G110
FLIGHT CONTROLLER: Logitech Extreme 3D PRO

At the moment I am trying to save up for a new graphics card preferably a 970GTX or ATi equivalent when they come out. I do have another PC for my game servers but its pretty much only a AMD 64 2ghz with 2GB ram, nothing special

KitsuneSnow
10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
http://oi62.tinypic.com/o10d94.jpg

klingoncowboy4
10-02-2014, 02:58 PM
OH man where do I start. I am definately a child of the information age with my father being one of the unsung pioneers. I remember using DOS 5 with Windows 3.11, an Atari ST (at home), various incarnations of Apple Macintoshes at school. By the time I was 13 I had probably helped install and subsequently destroyed Windows 95 and 98 countless times. Of course used Xp for a decade (though I still prefer 2000). I skipped out on Vista, 7, and 8 as much as I can.

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with Linux and around 2008 converted fully to Fedora. I am now running Fedora 20.

For Smartphones I have used Galaxy S, SII and now SV, I also have a Motorola Xoom that I hardly use anymore.

Don't ask me to go into the history of the hardware I have used, it is long and complicated.

Guthix
10-02-2014, 05:07 PM
i feel like coporations are so desperate instead of using cancerous surveys, they just post in forums with "what X you like?"

ThatsNotMyName_studio
10-02-2014, 05:52 PM
The urahara1001 corporation ??

urahara1001
10-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Well, they did make the legal precedent that corporations are people. Still, I can't imagine what it'd be like if I was a corporation. A corporation coming from an aryan standpoint, in favor of eugenics, opposed to religion, enthusiastic about technology, active in game development, opposed to DRM, pro free speech...

... Actually, I change my mind. I would be awesome as a corporation.

Guthix
10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
never said you were the corporation, you could just be a lackey collecting data into yer spreadsheets after which it is processed into statistics and sold off to corporations.
never said you do that either though, the idea is that it is possible [and easy] to do this sort of thing and over half of these types of threads seem to bear the same trend of dumping info with no discusions, no feedback, no point.
never said this all actualy happening, id like to point out i started the sentence with "i feel like", used the word "could"
i have no evidence in this matter nor i am planning to edulge this cybernetic market paranoia
i have no power to stop this, and lack of a better dictionary to inspire others to do this for me
i have no idea why my mind has rolled into this topic...

urahara1001
10-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Just for clarification on my part, I never said that you said those things either, just musing on my part. Also for clarification, I did mention the bit about doing something special, with the intent for that being for stories and discussion thereof. I also made my post with a story as an example, so the goal here wasn't just pure information gathering even if I didn't explicitly specify that.