BaconCatBug
11-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Edit: Available Now: https://voat.co/v/AMVHellRedux/comments/284811
Edit 2: AMV Hell 1: Redux submission thread (https://voat.co/v/amvhellredux/comments/284827/)
Edit 3: All moved to Voat

Long story short, I've taken it upon myself to assemble an uncensored version of AMV Hell 7. The main thread on the subreddit I created is here (https://voat.co/v/AMVHellRedux/comments/284811/). Many thanks to the authors who replied to my PM's making my job a lot easier. :)

As I say in the Voat thread, I am not making any criticism of Zarxrax or anyone else involved in the making of AMV Hell.

The main reason I am posting here and praying to as many deities as possible that my flameproof undies hold out is because I would like to request the communities help in double checking I have not missed any clips (either due to my lack of knowledge of certain animes, songs or just sheer utter idiocy).

And yes, the intention is to eventually literally remake AMV Hell 1 through 5 from scratch in glorious 720 pee, obviously something I won't be able to do solo, but that is a discussion for another day.

Sir Fluffykins
11-15-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't see a problem, AMVH7 just had censored hearts, 6.66 had people getting full on eaten.

thedarkmessenger
11-16-2014, 02:02 AM
And yes, the intention is to eventually literally remake AMV Hell 1 through 5 from scratch in glorious 720 pee

....why? Upscaling the sources won't make the video any better. In fact, it usually makes things WORSE. Why the hell would you go through all of that effort just to make **** look even ****tier?

Sure, some of the video sources can be found in 720p or even 1080p (especially in later installments), but is it really worth destroying the entire movie for a special few clips? Why not just make some mini-hell using only the clips that have 720p sources or something like that?

pzykosiz
11-16-2014, 03:09 AM
that's a hell of a project for a pretty recent member to do.
while the idea isn't bad, i believe George Lucas had some problems when he did that to his own movies

BaconCatBug
11-16-2014, 05:51 AM
....why? Upscaling the sources won't make the video any better. In fact, it usually makes things WORSE. Why the hell would you go through all of that effort just to make **** look even ****tier?

Sure, some of the video sources can be found in 720p or even 1080p (especially in later installments), but is it really worth destroying the entire movie for a special few clips? Why not just make some mini-hell using only the clips that have 720p sources or something like that?The main reason would be aspect ratio, AMV Hell 6.66 and 7 all had older anime with 5:4 and upscaled clips and I wouldn't call them ruined.

that's a hell of a project for a pretty recent member to do.
while the idea isn't bad, i believe George Lucas had some problems when he did that to his own moviesUnlike George Lucas, I don't intend on making the corn shoot first, :P

CitizenRoman
11-16-2014, 10:57 AM
i'm irrelevant

720p hells 1-5? if your going to include the 0's Bacon, i throw you a cookie.
do it.

BaconCatBug
11-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I'll do anything for cookies. I once invaded Russia in the Winter for one.

VasSerMan7
11-16-2014, 03:27 PM
not sure about the idea of restoring the older hells

http://i.imgur.com/QlKptLW.gif

milleniummaster18
11-17-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm an irrelevant, dismissive ****.

Boy, if it always were that easy.

Nothing relevant for you to read here, Roman. Move along.

I share the same sentiments as Dark and Vasserman about doing the rest of the hells in 720p. Basically, there is little purpose in upscaling something that's at very good quality in its native state of 640 by 480. If you want to play it fullscreen in 720p, the player can already upscale it for you. In particular exceptions where the video footage was actually downscaled from a higher resolution source [or currently available in a legitimately higher quality source (no cheap upscaling and restoration jobs in order to sell it as a Blu-ray)], or where the source used in the clip is of subpar quality (has logos, is from a stream, or whatnot); you could, as Dark said, only redo those clips. There's no need to fix something that isn't broken.

As for your current project, knock yourself out.

The main reason I am posting here and praying to as many deities as possible that my flameproof undies hold out...

If you don't trust us, we won't trust you. Simple as that.

BaconCatBug
11-17-2014, 01:36 PM
I do trust you, I don't trust myself. :P

I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to redo the older ones, but the main reasoning behind it was to correct the aspect ratio and do it in the avatarless format of AMV Hell 4 onwards, with resolution being a side benefit. If there is a large negative response to that Idea then I won't bother organising the attempt.

the4ten
11-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Probably in the minority here, but I'm of the mind that just because we have the ability to colorize Citizen Kane doesn't mean we should. What I mean is I enjoyed the avatars, as I could more easily identify the creators of clips I enjoyed and look up other work of theirs. Similarly, I like most of the censorship. For instance, clip 118 from AMV Hell 3 comes to mind (direct link to clip below.) The [beep] is hysterical to me, more-so than if he just said "****." Not entirely sure why. Just a thought.

http://youtu.be/MZr52-x9p4w?t=33m3s

Guthix
11-17-2014, 03:19 PM
just do it
if you fail you can never return and this ordeal will be forgoten
if you succeed to do it properly youll get your cookie and some ego points

thedarkmessenger
11-18-2014, 12:36 AM
I do trust you, I don't trust myself. :P

I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to redo the older ones, but the main reasoning behind it was to correct the aspect ratio and do it in the avatarless format of AMV Hell 4 onwards, with resolution being a side benefit. If there is a large negative response to that Idea then I won't bother organising the attempt.

the aspect ratio thing I can understand....but you didn't mention the aspect ratio in your original post AT ALL. If that's more of a reason than higher resolution, then why did you specifically mention the higher resolution, but with not even a vague implication of the aspect ratio?

And LOL @Roman. Try harder, fail troll. Try harder.

BaconCatBug
11-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Yeah I was kind of dumb and unclear. Sorry. :'(

HellsDeathAngel
11-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Long story short, I've taken it upon myself to assemble an uncensored version of AMV Hell 7. The main thread on the subreddit I created is here (https://www.reddit.com/r/AMVHellRedux/comments/2lrmm1/amv_hell_7_redux_the_uncensoring/). Many thanks to the authors who replied to my PM's making my job a lot easier. :)

Not even worth the effort for a whole 19 clips, is your OCD kicking in?

And yes, the intention is to eventually literally remake AMV Hell 1 through 5 from scratch in glorious 720 pee, obviously something I won't be able to do solo, but that is a discussion for another day.

http://i.imgur.com/892YBJD.png

Why would you even bother with redoing 5, that was by far one of the worst AMV Hells

BaconCatBug
11-18-2014, 06:38 AM
For propriety and posterity.
And I liked it. :'(

HellsDeathAngel
11-18-2014, 06:45 AM
For propriety and posterity.
And I liked it. :'(

Chose better words next time, if you really cared about propriety and posterity you would leave them in the state they are for nostalgia. Just because there is technology does not mean there is a reason to fix something that is not broke, we have enough of that crap going on with Hollywood.

BaconCatBug
11-18-2014, 09:57 AM
For the same reason watching DVDs is better than watching VHS.

jinzo64
11-18-2014, 10:35 AM
no you don't want to watch DVDS you want to be watching HD DVDS and who watched VHS? Betamax or nothing is what I always say.XD

ThatsNotMyName_studio
11-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Definitely sounds like some serious heavy-lifting.
I hope the Prize is worth the Price.
Good Luck =)

HellsDeathAngel
11-19-2014, 10:36 AM
For the same reason watching DVDs is better than watching VHS.

Which is meaningless if the source is still in a standard resolution and upscaling does not always provide a good solution.

BaconCatBug
11-20-2014, 05:07 AM
In any case, I've started the torrent. Obviously it's going to be slow to start as I don't own a seedbox. Uploading it to mega now.
Link
I have started the AMV Hell 1: Redux thread:
https://voat.co/v/amvhellredux/comments/284827

BaconCatBug
07-15-2015, 08:07 PM
As requested I have re-uploaded to Mega.nz and restarted the torrent. I have also moved to Voat, but that is bye the bye.