Nintendo Maniac 64
03-04-2011, 07:17 AM
I finally got around to watching AMV Hell 5 and I couldn't help but be reminded of the volume fluctuations... This brings me to a very simple question:

Why was Replay Gain/WaveGain not used?

RBRat3
03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I didnt notice any but know 9 times out of 10 your player has a volume normalization option. MPC, VLC has them also winamp.

Nintendo Maniac 64
03-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Normalization =! Replay/WaveGain

WhiteSparrow
05-23-2011, 07:58 AM
This is a glaring problem with the S2 Minis too (so long since I watched S1 so forgot how it was in those).
There's already a "Video Quality for Dummies", why not make "Audio Quality for Dummies" thread too? Granted I have little to no experience in the actual editing process but something has to be done about it.

Maybe give some min. requirements for the entries?

humnut
05-23-2011, 10:39 AM
This is a glaring problem with the S2 Minis too (so long since I watched S1 so forgot how it was in those).
There's already a "Video Quality for Dummies", why not make "Audio Quality for Dummies" thread too? Granted I have little to no experience in the actual editing process but something has to be done about it.

Maybe give some min. requirements for the entries?

Audio quality is kind of a bitch to work with when the original audio is ****. I know, it sucks, but sometimes, when you gotta make a specific clip, you go with the best possible audio you can. Upscaling anything can be hard, but I think audio is much harder. And there are requirements, your not allowed to use youtube ripped stuff, I'm sure that goes for both audio and video.

Zarxrax
05-23-2011, 03:10 PM
All videos are normalized. In extreme cases, volume is manually tweaked.
If you know of a way that I can EASILY fit replaygain/wavgain into my workflow[via avisynth, or on avi files], then I will consider it. (I'm not going to manually demux and remux the audio for every video, as thats too much trouble.)

Nintendo Maniac 64
05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
For those of you who use MPC with FFA as the audio decoder and want normalization with volume regain.

Disregard other checked options in FFA's properties window, those I have checked are for upmixing audio to 5.1 and outputting through SPDIF which have nothing to do with normalization/regain.
http://i.imgur.com/jw5aO.jpg

Clicking "Ok" instead of "Apply" keeps the settings till the player is closed out.

Normalization =! Replay/WaveGain

The "Regain Volume" is just a dynamic range compressor - this is detrimental to the audio quality (and actually isn't healthy for your ears). Replay Gain doesn't touch the dynamics at ALL, and therefore preserves the audio quality. (WaveGain is another story, but it's still nowhere nearly as bad)

RBRat3
05-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I was just showing where the options were. Yes it is a DRC, I dont use it cause my receiver has its own. Cant really loose too much quality unless your playing a lossless format, As for unhealthy for your ears really depends on what kind of DRC. FFA's is an upward compressor so it can be bad for your ears but I never had any problems with it since FFA buffers/post processes audio so I never had a miss on the attack when something exploded in a movie. The only time you'll get a miss on the attack is if you select the option "reset on seek" and skip to any part of the video.

Nintendo Maniac 64
06-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Either way, except for "Night Mode listening", pre-processed WaveGain would negate even having to use DRC. Besides, DRC is meant to do just that - compress the DYNAMICS; it never really was meant for averaging the volume across many tracks, and therefore isn't really a good solution for that in the first place.

bloodlover1987
06-02-2011, 01:43 AM
i didnt have that problem they all had the same volume

Nintendo Maniac 64
06-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Even if it did sound the same volume all the way through, that doesn't mean it's not a good practice to use Replay Gain/WaveGain since music volume levels are like playing the lottery usually - sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

And besides, there's always the possibility that it's something on your side of things making it equal volume, such as a dynamic range compressor being used, inadequate audio hardware, or just... ya know, bad hearing.

Anyway...

All videos are normalized. In extreme cases, volume is manually tweaked.
If you know of a way that I can EASILY fit replaygain/wavgain into my workflow[via avisynth, or on avi files], then I will consider it. (I'm not going to manually demux and remux the audio for every video, as thats too much trouble.)

Wait, are you re-encoding the audio or just "copy & pasting" pre-encoded audio? I ask this because WaveGain requires re-encoding (and Replay Gain is just tag-based, so that wouldn't even work in this case).

Zarxrax
06-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I found THIS (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1362489#post1362489)which seems like it should be able to totally automate it for me.
I'm going to try it out on the next episode and see if it works.

Nintendo Maniac 64
06-02-2011, 05:10 AM
...ok, looks like you found something yourself, that's cool. I hadn't even looked yet because I was going to wait until you answered my question. :P

Either way, slightly disappointing that what you found doesn't employ the more accurate "EBU R128" algorithm.